Did anybody warn you?

I had lunch with a two cousins today, both recently having had babies. They told me to make sure my insurance covers all the ultrasounds the doctor wants to do. Some insurances don't cover multiple ultrasounds.

mrsjon

Asked by mrsjon at 3:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• The doctor should tell you! I suppose that it is probably in your insurance handbook somewhere, but to just let you run up a giant bill would be irresponsible.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It's true, not all insurances will cover all ultrasounds. However, most doctors won't ask for a ton of ultrasounds, u less medically necessary, in which case insurances will look into it...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My insurance does not cover any unless medically necessary.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Both my pregnancies involved multiple ultrasounds for medical issues. The firdt was a stage 2 because there were markers for spina bifida, and they anted to heck it out (it was fine). The second was becaue they found a cyst on my ovary and I actually went back to have it checked out 3 times to see if it was growing or not (it was). The only thing extra I had to pay for was $18 my 2nd pregnancy.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• my insurance never covered an ultrasound!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yep, the agent told me 1 would be covered, unless there was an emergency - well, with one pregnancy I had an emergency, had to have more than one done, and the extra was covered. Our doctors around here won't do more than one anyway unless medically necessary (like my emergency).
    Anonymous

• Yup my doctor told me that i had a good insurance because it would cover as many as i wanted
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• iv had i think 10 ultrasounds(im perfectly fine and so is the baby) :/ iv never had to pay for any of them

i think it would depend on the insurance so i would ask to see what they allow
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 5:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My insurance automatically covers 3 at 100% and then the rest that are deemed medically necessary at 90%.

No one had to warn me. I checked into it when we decided to have a baby!!!
    Anonymous