The rights to borrowing money

If someone asked u to borrow money, do u think u have the right to ask what for?

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 3:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• You have a right, its your money. But why would you. They are going to pay it back so if you want to loan it to them do it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• es because I am not loaning what little money I have so they can have a back yard bbq or buy a magazine subscription... It better be a need not a want.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• If I'm loaning money I have a right to know why. Some reasons are acceptible, some are not. I won't loan money for beer or cigarettes or junk, but I will for a real need.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yes, absolutely. Even a bank is going to ask what someone wants a loan for. The only time I might not ask is if someone asked for money and I already *knew* they were having trouble paying bills, etc. Then I'd assume that's what they were using the money for. (And if they didn't, they wouldn't get a second loan, sorry!)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Sure. Though on the occasions I've asked to borrow, I'm straight up with why - "Mom, can I borrow $50 for groceries, I'll pay you back when the paycheck hits the bank on XXX but I don't have enough to make it through til then"..."Bro, I'm in desperate need of a dentist visit but have no extra money til the tax refund, can you float me a loan?", stuff like that (and yes, those were actual requests of mine).
    Anonymous

• I should also add that when I've asked to borrow money, I've been open from the start: "I need this much to pay my electric bill and buy diapers until DH's first paycheck arrives on this date." I would never ask for money any other way, and I would expect someone to be just as open with me.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 4:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Well, the nosy in me always does.. Like Oh ok what's going on ?? everything ok? only 2 people have ever asked me to borrow money though so I don't have a ton of experience..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I'm with the others, I would want to know what for.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 3:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yep, and I also have the right to say no for no reason what so ever.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• There are very few people that I would possibly loan money to, and those people I wouldn't need to ask why because I know it would be a dire situation for them to ask. So no - the reason why doesn't make a difference to me, I wouldn't ask.

Answer by missanc at 4:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2011