What happend when you appeal an unemployment decision?

Do they re-evaluate, reconsider, meet with you and you past employer... How does that work? I don't want to appeal if I then have to face my old boss.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• yes you will have to meet with your past employer :( they will bring you both into a room at a big table and you will tell your side and he will tell his side, and if you have witnesses they MIGHT get to tell their side. there will be a person sitting asking questions and recording it all. then you will go on your way and they will notify you by letter what happens. and the people i have encountered are NOT very nice. good luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 3:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I have had it happen by phone and written responses to a worker. I didn't have to speak with my old employer at all...they asked me questions separately than my employer, asked for supporting documents from both of us, etc.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• The workforce commission in my state will sometimes do these appeals over the phone-- it saves time and personnel costs. This is especially important in this day and time of high volume of appeals. You may be able to do that rather than have to face your old employer in person.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I had to face my employer and I won. She fired me bc she didn't like who I was dating!!!! The mediator laughed at her and told her to pay me!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• If you lost to begin with, more than likely you will lose again. I work in HR (on maternity leave now) & I have to do unemployment claims. Depending on what state you live in, you either go to a phone hearing with you old employer and a representative from the unemployment office that is recorded or you go to a live hearing & you will have to face your old employer.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• You lose.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I worked there for 12 years. I paid unemployment tax for 12 years. I must have been a God awful employee to have been kept around for 12 years... with multiple raises. AArgh! He did this on purpose!!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Oh and sorry not to sound rude, but its a misunderstanding that most people have...YOU do not pay unemployment taxes, the employer pays those costs (SUDA) while pay rolling you.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• What do you have to lose? If you do have to face you old employer, why not hold your head high? I assume you have nothing to be ashamed of? Go for it But_Mommie!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 9:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• ABPeterson is right, it is the employer that pays the unemployment tax, not the employee.

I have had 1 and I won. I am the employer and I had an employee work for a month and then quit with no notice. She then filed for unemployment! It was initially granted because she lied and said she was fired. I applealed. I could prove she was on the schedule and I could prove when she last clocked in/out...you gotta love computers! I won.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2011