Thoughts on All This CM Religious Intolerance

..please don't raise your children to foster such venom, mamas. What are your thoughts?

..im not a christian, but i have reverence.. as i've seen christianity hold people who needed to be held so tightly.. ive seen things work in lives that were stagnant.. and in need of hope.. thru "Jesus".. also, through the Buddha's teaching.. and every other faith known to mankind. I've found something in the Bible to prove the point for Christians. Such a passage isn't necessary for Buddhists.. and I'm not familiar with the other religions enough to do so.. but I'd like you mamas to share them with me.

Mark 9:38-40 "...we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth NOT us: and we forbade him, because he followeth not us. but Jesus said, 'forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. for he that is not against us is on our part'."

..now, mamas, im no theologian, but i can safely say that i have a firm grasp of the english language.. the bible offers bits of wisdom regarding TOLERANCE if you look for them..like here, in a nutshell, jesus said, 'so what if this guy is healing people in my name; tho he doesn't believe? he isn't killing people in my name.. he's HELPING THEM.. HEALING THEM. he's a friend of mine.. and a friend of us all'.

eatapeach

Asked by eatapeach at 4:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• "the bible offers bits of wisdom regarding TOLERANCE if you look for them.."

Yes, only if you look really, really hard...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Sometimes I think religion is just a way to escape reality and feel good about making mistakes. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just that some people are just too wrapped up in their religion to realize that they do and can make mistakes.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 4:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• you don't really have to look very hard.

Jesus specifically says the two greatest commandments are to love God and love our neighbors.

...and when people tried to get all tricky on him and say "who is my neighbor?" he tells a story about the Good Samaritan which is important because the Samaritans were considered a horrible enemy to the the listeners.

I suppose love doesn't equal tolerance, but in my opinion, it's something better.
    Anonymous

• That same god commanded the slaughter of entire nations... what is that called again? Oh, yeah... genocide.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I've said it once and I will say it agian. I hate the word "tolerance". Because even though it might sound like a good and gracious word it really isn't. It just means you keep your negative opinions about someone or something to yourself. It doesn't mean you actually give yourself an insight to that person's life to have a change of opinion about them. I don't tolerate people, I try to get to know them first. And if I don't think I could ever be friends with them I don't waste anymore time. I don't "tolerate" them, I just stay away from them cause I know I won't ever like them.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 4:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• i agree...but sadly there are so many doing evil in Jesus' name. THATS the problem most ppl have with Christianity. they ignore those of us who can & want to live in peace w/ others of different faiths and its easy to do so when those who are busy being jerks for Jesus are so stinking loud!

you will never be able to find enough good things about anything for some ppl...some ppl chose to look at the negative & ignore any & all positives.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• The lack of responsibility is tiring. Even as people are voting down Obby's comment, it gets to the point. Everything bad in the bible is written off as parable or taken out of context, and everything good is put on a pedestal. That's way too convenient for reality.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yeah. People who actually read the Bible want to ignore the fact that there were many stories in there about people being massacred in the name of God or Jesus because they know that it was wrong to slaughter innocent people, but they don't want to admit that the Bible or Moses or whoever is wrong. They're all saints according to them. In reality, they're no different than Hitler or Khadaffi. They too slaughtered people because of what they believed to be true. Moses believed that the Promise land was for his people only so he had the whoever (I forget who it was) slaughtered. So how is that something God would want? Even if it was done in the name of God, if God was a good God in the Bible he wouldn't allowed even Moses to slaughter a bunch of innocent people. So in my honest opinion, I think the Bible only promotes hypocracy.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 4:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I really, really wish more christians, who claim to follow Jesus would choose to follow such examples of the bible than other parts of it. I have NO doubt that this Jesus guy was an incredible person, full of love and light and neverending forgiveness of others. Even when they were doing things against him to hurt him.
    I wish more people could see that we are all one...what we do to to one we do to another. Instead of getting caught in the egotistical world of "I am right, YOU are wrong." And don't we ALL get caught up in that?

We are all only human with human flaws and once in a while it's nice to crawl out from beneath our insecurities and embrace all that we share.
    So many times however, I honestly feel that the bible is used as justification for anger and hate. It's wielded rather than embraced.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• That's a good example. I actually have a couple books that compare Jesus' teaching to the Buddha's teachings, and I think some people would be surprised how many parallel sayings there really are.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2011