WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON BULLY, HAVE YOU BEEN BULLIED, OR YOUR CHILD BEEN BULLIED?

I was taught young, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me!" If you or your child have every been bullied you would say that statement is a bunch of Crap!

Especially on social networks. Written, or Spoken harmful purposeful Words can cut sharper than a knife....and the lasting effects are long if not forever. In fact social bullying is taking a flight....FB - and other social networks are reporting teen sucicides due to "bullying". No one should be subjected to such...especially here at Cafemom's...I'm disturbed by some of the comments when someone post a question, or adds their own heartache...that it gives rights to allow poison darts to be slung with hurtful words on a just because manner. I don't like it and just read a member left because a bully took advantage on another cafe member. What are your thoughts?

csjoy1

Asked by csjoy1 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 5th grade son was bullied - he was in a new school this year and some of the boys took it upon themselves to give him a hard time on the bus. I told him to ignore them, and it never got to the point that I had to step in, they left him alone once they realized they weren't going to get a reaction. But it doesn't hurt that both he and his 4th grade sister became fairly popular at their new school in a very short time. I can't stand bullies!

Answer by missanc at 4:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I was bullied as a child, and the "sticks and stones" statement IS absolute crap! So is the statement, "Just ignore it." Bullying is impossible to ignore, and sometimes the only thing a bully understands is a swift punch in the nose!
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 4:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Sticks and stones I was taught only if what someone was saying was out of ignorance, such as someone calling someone the n word, or stupid or something. There is a whole big difference when it comes down to being bullied, rumors and lies. It DOES have a lasting effect. I finally thought I was over the rumors and lies from high school which was over 25 years ago, only to have things brought up by someone I went to school with that people are still talking about and believe. It IS lasting and it should be dealt with.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2011