21 month old cold/flu

My DD is sick and her fever keeps spiking im staying on top of her tylenol which is helping her fever but she is severly congested and cant breathe. She was up til 430 this morning cuz she couldnt breathe and therefore couldnt sleep. Any ideas what i can give her to help her breathe better. The doc seems to think that waiting it out and letting her be miserable and sleepless is the best idea. I disagree. I cant get a second opinion so im asking you lovely ladies what you'd recommend. I've tried the whole sitting in the bathroom with hot water running and a humidifier and all that. she needs more help clearing up the congestion. PLEASE HELP. I am so exhausted and i know she is too!!!!! Thanks much. oh she is 21 months old and weighed 23 lbs at her last appt about 2 months ago. So im guessing she is about 24 or so lbs by now...

mrs.miner

Asked by mrs.miner at 4:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Alternate tyelnol and motrin every 2 hours with the correct dosage, give her a nasal decongestant like Sudafed (comes in a liquid) comes OTC, or you can you saline drops and suck out the snot. But, she really needs another doc to look at her and give her an antibiotic, if her fever is spiking, there is a bacterial infection. When did she go to the dr?? If is been longer than 24hs, call them back and tell them she is worse and you can't contol the fever. If they are closed, call the oncall dr and tell him exactly what's going on.
    ShelbysHope76

Answer by ShelbysHope76 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I'd also do the decongestant every 4 hours, on the dot. Keep it clear so she can breathe and let her little body recoup. Any other symptoms??
    ShelbysHope76

Answer by ShelbysHope76 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I'm surprised that any doctor would want a patient to be miserable. Did the doc actually see your child? There are OTC nasal sprays (non medicated) that may help with the congestion. If that doesn't help I would definitely get on the phone with the doctor's office.
    LoveHerDad

Answer by LoveHerDad at 4:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Its a navy doc and there isnt a backup doc i can see, and they wont get her in to see them unless its more serious. they dont do anything for babies with fevers and congestion. they give tylenol and send them home. They only do anything if baby is getting dehydrated and then all they do is if its severe they give an iv if its not they send you home and tell you what to buy them to get them to drink. they are really horrible... there are no other symptoms other than an occasional cough. And i was more wondering which decongestants are safe. they all say DO NOT GIVE TO CHILDREN UNDER 2. the soonest they will get her in is mon or tues next week. my only other choice is taking her to er but they do same as the regular docs do. i took her into er when she had allergic reaction to a cat and had constant fever of 102 even with tylenol and she couldnt breathe and their advice was to keep her as comfortable as possible.
    mrs.miner

Comment by mrs.miner (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I do not know if safe but I do munlex for my girls and when my ears were bad just a couple of weeks ago I was told the same things. Have them sleep propped up, you did the hymydifier but I also use those plugins and they work wonders at night, push the fluids, nasal drops might work. for the fever can do the tynolal or childrens motrin or I use those be cool patchs at work for 8 hours and goes on their head on chest and they work great, try your local store and ask a pharmacy their advice or even cvs has those minute clinics that accept more insurances and they might help as well. Hope she gets better soon. If not then I would take her back and demand to be seen since no should be sick if they do not have to.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2011