Bandaging a Wound

Okay, so I was doing rope climbs as part of my exercise the other day and it very literally scrubbed away a lot of skin from my shin and the area near my knee. I didn't really feel it until I got home. It was very weepy (ew, I know), so I kept it uncovered to see if a scab would form. I even slept like that. The next morning...still seepy. So I covered it with antibacterial ointment and gauze and taped it. I went through my work day. Well, I took the bandage off and the one by knee was stuck. So it ripped off some of the skin again...(I know, ew!!!) and it's now very weepy and slightly bloody. Should I keep bandaging it up? Or wait for a scab to form? It's getting irritating.

I'm not the best with first aid, but I'm not going to go to a doctor for it, because essentially it's just a scrape.

ImPhoenix

Asked by ImPhoenix at 4:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Health

• use NON-Stick pads (NO gauze) & antibiotic ointment for a few days...you can hold that one with rolled bandage or even a ace type wrap....  but do let it get some air for a few hours a day so you don't get skin break down!! once it stops weeping you can leave it uncovered unless you are doing something that might get it dirty or where you might bump into something.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• There are bandages which don't stick to wounds, those are what I buy for the kids. Use more ointment as well. Keep it clean and covered for a couple of days. If a bandage sticks, moisten it with warm water until it releases, soak it if you have to, to prevent reinjuring the wound.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I would say keep the area clean and covered initially. The antibiotic ointment should help protect the skin, however, when the bandage sticks to the wound, trying saturating the bandage with clean water (maybe put a clean wet washcloth over it) until the skin softens so you can gently remove the gauze without reopening the wound. At some point I've heard that it's good to let the area "air out," but I'm not a medical professional so I don't know when or for how long. Oh, and "ouch!" Good luck.
    LoveHerDad

Answer by LoveHerDad at 4:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Maybe I'll put a lot more ointment on it this time. :(
    ImPhoenix

Comment by ImPhoenix (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• First keep it clean. Don't touch the wound or even around it unless you have washed your hands well. Put antibiotic ointment on it, a thin layer, more than that just wastes expensive medicine. If you have gauze cover and tape but not tightly. If you use a telfa or a big band-aid they keep the wound moist and what you really need if for it to dry up. Only cover as long as it is weeping. If the gauze stickssoak the dressing off. You damage healing skin otherwise. If it get an angry red ring around it or any red streaking up or down from the wound see your Dr. Lots of Vit C to promote healing.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Okay. Thanks. I just redressed it, because I'm putting pants on...and I'm cold! I think I'm coming down with a cold or something, because I feel achey and I think I have a fever. So wonderful! lol Yeah, there's no redness to it...well, sort of, but not the angry infected type. More, the you just got a scrape kind.

I feel like a wimp limping around. It stings so freaking bad! lol I'll get over it, I guess.

Thanks!
    ImPhoenix

Comment by ImPhoenix (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Oh, snap. Okay. No gauze....crap, that means I have to take this stuff off.
    ImPhoenix

Comment by ImPhoenix (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• leave it... but next time use the non-stick kind!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Okay...trip to the store it is. lol
    ImPhoenix

Comment by ImPhoenix (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• There is wound spray that you can buy to put over it and then bandage over it. It sounds as if you got rope burn, which is one of the worst boo boos you can get. At least in the way it feels. I got it on my hands trying to hold onto a horse a few months back and it felt like my hands were on fire for 2 days. The wound spray help so much.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2011