Growing Corn in Zone 4?

My SIL and I are planting a garden this year. We would really like to have some corn in our garden. My in-laws live in the same town and claim that they have never been able to get corn to grow, that its too cold where we are at. We are in Zone 4, elevation 5260 feet. Does any one have any good corn suggestions? Or information on how to successful grow corn in a colder are that has a shorter growing season?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 4:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I don't know where zone 4 is, but I do know that corn takes a very long time to mature, so if you have late and early frosts, you may not be able to get a crop in. We live in Kentucky and we can plant fairly early and harvest fairly late, so corn does well around here. If you have an Agricultural Extension agent in your area, call that office and they will be able to tell you if you can grown corn where you live.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• We live in Idaho, higher up in elevation. We typically get our first frost late august.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Find an early maturing corn, something that's ready in less than 80 days. I think there's an Early Sweet Bantam variety. Gurney's has a Quickie variety that matures in 68 days.

We're in Zone 4. I grow sweet corn every year and it's ready the week before Labor Day, sometimes sooner.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 5, 2011