Why does a lot of poeple think that doing photography is a get rich quick thing?

I have busted my butt for 3 years learning EVERYTHING there is to know about photography and getting the camera and lenses that I need to do this for a living! YES!! It takes YEARS to learn about what to do with photography and the business side!
Also, if you are doing it "under the table" and the IRS finds out that you are not filing taxes then WOW!! You're screwed!! Also, printing photos for your "clients" at Walmart or any of those places is CRAP! Yes, I have a business, yes, I have a business license. Yes, I have a tax ID #! Yes, I'm legit!
sorry....didn't mean to fly off the handle...I have just seen too many moms just get a consumer grade DSLR and think they can "open a business" the next day! Not true!
If you would LOVE to learn how to take the right steps to doing photography for a living, then go join Photomoms here on CM. TONS of info and a lot of professional photographers are there to answer questions and point you in the right direction!
ok I'm done! :)

nctarheelmom

Asked by nctarheelmom at 4:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• k... thanks
    feel better now?! lol :)
    have a good weekend
    cailynsmommy626

Answer by cailynsmommy626 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• LOL! yeah a little better!
    You have a good weekend too!!
    nctarheelmom

Comment by nctarheelmom (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Actually my little sister has been using cameras since she was about 4. And at 24 she does photgraphy for a living. She has never taken a class!
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 4:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It's not all about the camera but the person behind it. I know many professional photographers who do just fine with the crappiest little cameras (digital or otherwise) and take the most amazing shots.

I know you are frustrated. Photography is a hard, hard business - been there, so has DH and FIL. It is hard because anyone can have access to the materials and do similar things. I've seen a lot of it. The same with graphic design. That's why DH and I now only do photo for ourselves and kids. Because everyone thinks their shots are amazing and sometimes they are - education or dumb luck.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I think that it is great that you can do something that you love and make money off of it. And I would never imagine trying to be a "professional" photographer. However, some people are naturally gifted when it comes to certain things and photography is one of them. Sometimes I find it unnecessary to pay someone hundreds of dollars to take pictures that I can take myself.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 5:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Why DO a lot of people think .....?
    I don't think I have heard anyone say that photography is a get rich quick deal.
    NOTHING is. It takes years to make money in ANY careeer---unless you are a Celebrity in the movies,on TV or in the world of sports.
    Now that you have ranted---LOL----do you feel any better and does it make sense that we all have to work hard and nobody gets rich quick?
    Good luck!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Thats a new one for me. Photography as a get rich quick thing. I never thought photography was a get rick slow thing, just a way to make a living.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2011