How do you feel about unnasisted birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It is a personal decision for a woman to make... most american women fail to realize that we have the highest mortality rates of any developed country---- and the highest percentage of hospital births.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Honestly? stupid.What if something goes wrong? Both mother and/or baby can die. My cousins wife gave birth at home, normal pregnancy. She hemorrhaged and died shortly after birth.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• If I was to do it again, I would do it at home with someone to catch. It is the most natural thing our bodies do and unless there is a problem with the pregnancy, there is no reason for all of the hoopla that happens in a hospital.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It is NOT for everyone, or every couple, however, any woman can educate herself and do it if she wishes. I am fully supportive of women who choose this option.

And for every horror story of out-of-hospital birth gone bad, there are plenty more terrible hospital birth stories with bad outcomes and mismanaged care. It is up to each woman to decide for herself and her baby which set of risks she is willing to subject herself to.
    squish

Answer by squish at 7:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I have attended 9 pre-hospital births on the ambulance. All I did was catch. Mom did the rest. And each time, she did it well. Yes, there are horror stories for ANY situation. The bottom line is that, no matter your choice, EDUCATE yourself. If you really want questions answered, join Birth Is Normal (a group on here). I'm not in there now because the birth stories were too painful (We have been TTC for over 2 years) That is a group of women who are all so knowledgable, and totally understanding and patient with questions. They aren't judgemental, at least they weren't when I was in the group
    MedicMommy

Answer by MedicMommy at 7:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It's not for me. But if you think it's for you then go for it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• If it is for you and your family...GO FOR IT!!!

I can assure you that there are FAR more HORROR stories about babies being born in hospitals than in the safety of their own home.

I bled out and nearly died in my first birth which was in a hospital. Ya the doctor saved my life...blah, blah, blah...the doctor CAUSED it by inducing me with Cytotec which I later found out was not FDA approved and is actually VERY dangerous for pregnant women, especially when used for induction but it is used every single day in hospitals because it cost about 65 cents versus 3 hundred for Cervidil which, while not risk free, has MUCH lower risks than Cytotec!!
    Anonymous

• The idea of it kinda' scares me, but with my next pregnancy I am going to read up on it and prepare myself for the posibility of it happening. My second came so quickly that we barely made it to the hospital (we live 5 minutes away). If my husband were at work and I went into labor I would want to feel ready for any situation that may arise.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• One word. Dangerous.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:34 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I would always want to have someone trained in this. I was hoping for a midwife with my 2nd pregnancy, but they wouldn't touch a woman carrying twins. Even with just one baby, there are so many things that can go wrong, and when things go wrong with a delivery, someone can die. It's not worth the risk.

Even when the mom is trained, what happens if she passes out due to pain or bleeding?
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:08 AM on Jun. 4, 2011