59 years old and got laid off / Let go from Allina

My Mil was part of a Allina lay off of 250 employee's this week - my DH seems to think she would have no problem finding a job, that more employers would want someone with experience and will need a steady income etc.. but I completely think opposite.. not that its our business but we were just talking about it after it happened.. what do you think?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• I hate to tell you that the outlook for your MIL is grim. Have her apply for unemployment ASAP and begin a creative workover of her resume. She may want to contact her local unemployment office--many of these agencies offer free classes on job searches, interviews, and resume building. Every thing she can do for herself like this will be a step in the direction of another job. Unfortunately, individuals over 45 are among the hardest hit in the recession-- no one wants to pay what they are worth and will therefore hire far less experienced people for lower pay-- IF they are hiring at all. I wish her luck.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I think she should waste no time in finding a job but also try to get unemployment. The longer she waits the harder it will be to find a job.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Ditto to what mommy of two said!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 5:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I agree with PP. The older worker is hit hard. My DH has been out of work 9 months now. He is too "expensive" for an employer who can hire a young college grad at 1/2 the salary.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I have to agree with jmpj that the outlook isn't good. Most employers aren't looking to hire someone who will likely retire in around 5 years. Older employees cost more for health insurance & pay and don't stay as long. Of course, it's illegal to discriminate based on age, but if there are 2 equally qualified candidates and one is 59 and the other is 25 you know who they'll choose. A former coworker of mine was let go at age 57 and 3+ years later STILL hasn't found a job and he's highly qualified in his field.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 7:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• There is definite age discrimination going on. She may have loads of experience, but her age ... she will be lucky to even be offered a job.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 9:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• She may want to consider "hanging out a shingle" and doing consulting work. If she was offered outplacement services, she should definitely take full advantage of them.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2011