• In the Spotlight:

Im trying but not succeeding on making my 20 month old son to talk!!

i try to sit one on one with him and talk with him but he wont say anything and i dont think he understand me either except when i ask him for a kiss and he sometimes gives me one and he i ask for high fives and he does ... he likes to stomp his feet when walking and dh and i say stomp stomp and we do it to and then he does it .. he says mama and dada and he takes cars and trucks and makes vvrooooommm sounds .. he claps his hands when i do it and i try patty cake with him thats the one nursery ryme i can think of and he likes the roll em and roll em part ... and knows what it means ... when i tell him to stop and i say no! when hes doing something he shouldnt be he stops and shakes his head no no ... everytime i bring him outside he runs straight for parked cars and tries to "move" them he thinks they go like his toy cars .. when hes outside all he wants to do is run outside never wants to learn about what things are .. and hes stubborn when i try to teach him things like today i have those yogurt drops by gerber and i say more when he squeeks and i say you have to say more and i try to shake my head and say yes and he gets soo mad a furstrating and starts whining ....but thats all as far as communication goes .. he just babbles but ive seen soo many other kids way far in development and my son is behind :( i was talking when i was 1 and my hubby talked when he was 2 ... but im worried .. my doc said hes fine but im not seeing any improvement ... what can i do for him to help? should i get him outside more often .. should i take away tv more often and spend more time with him ? should i have playdates with kids close to his age? i need help ..if ur child was a slow learner what helped you ? when did you toddler start talking?

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am told my 18 mon old is delayed as well...but also not to worry. I feel you momma, I just want him to talk like the other kiddos. The good news is, this won't last forever. I am told that all of a sudden they will just start talking our ears off. Maybe our babies would talk to eachother. lol
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I would consult your doctor. If needed, you can be referred to the proper help.
    Anonymous

• You can't "make" him talk. He will talk when he is ready. My daughter had twin girls in 1997 and they barely said a word and had their own ways to communicate until they were almost three years old... but---guess what? Today they are in 7th grade and finished the year with a straight "A " Average for the whole year and they are very talkative! DOn't worry so much! :)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My 21 month old talks up a storm! She is putting sentences together, she asks and responds to questions... I don't do baby talk. When I am doing things like cooking and she is in with me, I explain everything I am doing. Take him to a farm or the zoo where he will be over exposed to new things and all the excitement will make him want to talk... Or at least get his point across. Don't let him watch much tv, if any at all. Sing to him, any song will do. I know now crazy this must sound, but bc I listen to it, dd can sing part of telephone by Lady Gaga... Don't give in right away, like when you have something, say, " say please" then repeat it a few times... Then try doing just some of the sounds.. Like p, la, eze.... Good luck mama!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• You don't need a pediatrician's referral to get an evaluation done. Early intervention in your area will do one for free - google it. If they find a delay then you have a jumpstart on getting help - they will provide speech therapy for free or very low cost. If they don't find a delay, at least you have peace of mind. The eval and the therapy is actually fun for the kids, it's all play based.
    You could also try sign language for simple words. Some kids that aren't ready to talk respond well to using signs.

Answer by missanc at 6:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• thanks! babybugs ill try sounding out words!
    Luckyme3487

Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• missanc, not EVERYWHERE does free evals. My son (now 7) was 3.5 and I was getting pressure from EVERYONE to get him evaluated for a speech delay. Not one place would touch him or come close to evaluating him for various reasons. He had a speech delay that was pretty severe. After I pulled him out of daycare and worked with him 1:1 instead of 1:10 he was fine in six months.

OP: You can not MAKE a child speak. To do so will backfire horribly. Again, my son was 2 or 3 and I was trying to get him to at least say hi to Mom and Dad's friends. He developed a stutter. As soon as I stopped trying to get him to talk to people the stutter went away overnight. If your doctor is not concerned I would stop trying to force the issue. He'll talk when he's ready.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Contact Parents As Teachers or your local school district. They will help you.
    Anonymous

• Rosehawk - everywhere has a place that does free evals for birth-3 years, I believe it's funded federally but run locally. After that, the school district should do it.

Answer by missanc at 8:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Rosehawk, if the child is less than three then they are required by law to do an evaluation within a certain amount of time, I believe it's 45 days, to determine the child's eligibility., and it's free. The Department of Health for each state governs the Early Intervention program, but it's mandated by federal law. Call your state's DOH for information on Early Intervention. After three it's the school district that does the evaluation, and if their speech is delayed 70% or more, then the DOE is required to provide speech therapy.

Yes, some children are just slow talkers, but if there is a genuine speech delay, early intervention is very important. The longer it's allowed to continue, the harder it can be to overcome.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 7:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2011