Separation Anxiety

My 7 month old gets upset if I leave a room or sometimes even if I sit next to her and don't hold her. She throws a big fit and no longer can be comforted by her dad, just tired ol' me! I know separation anxiety is normal, but I feel like this is a bit severe. Anyone else deal with this? I don't CIO, but I wonder if I should if I should discourage this behavior? Help and advice please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD was like that. I'd give her one of my DH's shirts and she'd carry it around and take it to sleep with her when he was gone. It helped IMMENSELY. I cannot even explain.

Try and give the child an object that smells like you. Blanket, top, anything. This should help... At least it did in my case.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• i've dealt with it with both my sons & actually enjoyed it. didn't try to change it & they eventually broke out of it... they are ages 1 & 3 now so it didn't take too long although my 3 yr old still prefers me. lol.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 6:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I enjoyed it because now my 14 year old "baby" doesn't do that now-she's not even a hugger sniff sniff.............
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yep. Even though it's a little overboard it's still normal. My daughter is 4 and STILL won't hardly give Daddy the time of day unless I leave or am asleep. As tiring as it is, she WILL get over it. She just need you to hug her and love her and remind her that Mommy will always come back and that Daddy is ok too. I THINK, if I remember right, that at this age they're just starting to grasp the idea of object permanence.

One thing that really helped with both of my kids at that age is to get their attention, tell them I'm walking out of the room, walk out of the room still talking and talk to them while in the other room.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• This is a phase called object constancy - when your baby can't see you then you no longer exist. To the baby 5 minutes can seem like hours. A baby can't be reasoned with and doesn't have the language skills to understand explainations. Separation anxiety is another developmental phase that toddlers go through. I kept my babies with me often using a sling or baby carrier.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2011