My religion is immoral

It endorses or suggests actions or behaviors that were appropriate several thousand years ago, but are no longer acceptable by 21st century standards. Some of those rules were vital to survival in a time when there was no real medical science and the risks of day to day living were far greater than today. It is my responsibility to examine each precept and weigh it against the laws and expectations of the society in which I live, and make a determination of which holds precedence.

I can admit that. Why can't you?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Good point . I agree . There has been change over the past 2,000 years or so , believe it or not .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Go girl! This should get interesting!
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• bowing down

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Exactly. Amen.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• That doesn't make your faith immoral, it makes 21 century standards twisted and backwards!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

Forget who you're talking to? I have the order to kill those who cross me, remember? ;)
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Your premise is based on the idea that God is no longer relevant and that man has the authority to change God's laws based on what is culturally acceptable. It holds your free will above God's autonomy - which consequently is the sin that caused a curse on mankind. You may want to stay away from that "grasping for equality with God," or as the case may be "grasping for superiority to God."
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Answer by -Eilish- a minute ago

So that's a no. Got it.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• NP, you've sparked my curiosity.

What were elements of your faith needed for survival 2000 years ago that are immoral now?

Thanks for sharing.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 6:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• A few thoughts on this:

1.you are describing outdated practices within your religion rather than the religion itself-its over-riding message
    2. Aren't you describing "cherry picking"- ? Isn't that a reoccurring theme around here "how can you call yourself an XYZ if you cherry pick which parts of your faith practice/believe"

I agree that my faith is similar with its outdated practices (many of which are no longer in use-some I just disagree with) but I disagree that makes ANY faith immoral-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2011