night terrors

How do you know if your ds/dd has a night terror? When my son was just a little over a year old he use to wake up shortly after going to bed freaking out not wanting anybody at all! It was bad and it would last for at least 30 minutes sometimes more. It was horrible because all I could do was sit there and watch him scream because he'd go off even worse if we tried to go to him. It got alot better over the last year...he is 3 now. Occasionally though, he still will have these "tantrums". What are signs that he's having night terrors? or could he just be waking up on the wrong side of the bed?

luvnmy3kid

Asked by luvnmy3kid at 7:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• With night terrors, the child doesn't even know you are there. He doesn't turn to you for comfort when you come in. He screams and carries on and then lays back down and go back to sleep. In truth, he was never actually awake. If you try to hold he and wake them up, they get even more upset and confused. All you can do is stay nearby to ensure he doesn't hurt himself.

With nightmares, the child wants you to comfort him. He calls for you when you come into his room. He melts into you when you pick him up. He wants to be rocked and soothed. And that's what you do - sooth him back to sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My son went through this when he was about 18-26 months. His pedi told me to never attepmt to wake him, just sit beside him rubbing his back firmly, but to really just let him be. If he did happen to get out of bed to just guide him back to his bed and start the back thing. If you try to wake him (which I did in the beginning) he'll get even more scared. You could try holding him very close to you firmly and gently reassuring him that "mommy's here, it's going to be ok". It was a little hard to hold on a first, but after I figured out a good position, he would calm down easier.
    firefighinmommy

Answer by firefighinmommy at 7:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My 6 year old started having them at like maybe 4, they are scary arent they, though I would hold him regardless of him not wanting me too, and try talking him out of them, it got to the point were I would start bringing him in the bath room and sprinkle cold water on his face ( only when they got really bad) and that would like wake him up, now that he can talk and understand's when he has them talking is the best when he wakes up out of them, he tell's me about his bad dream, I alway's let him know that I am a super MOM and I will beat up the boogie man. It's crazy, but don't let him watch any thing scary on TV or game's etc. I found that movie's that I thought wouldnt be scary were to my son.
    sillybabys

Answer by sillybabys at 11:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2008