Don't wanna be induced..

Don't wanna be induced. Doctor is inducing me next week! Anything that i can do to maybe help labor start ? I walk all the time and am always on my feet. Any ideas ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Don't be induced unless it's medically necessary, like the baby or yourself is going to be in harms way. How far along are you? Why is he inducing you?
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• You don't have to be induced if you don't want to. It's your body and baby and the choice is always yours, not your doctor's.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Sex nipple stimulation, pineapple, Yoga ball, spicy food, squats, driving down a bumpy road.... Is your doctor inducing you because of a medical condition or because you are late??
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It's your body, your baby and your birth. If you don't want to be induced, don't let them do it. Your baby will not be "too big" to birth if you don't have him the day your dr wants you to.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 6:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I just want to tell you not to be scared. I was induced, too. Wasn't planning on that, but that's what happened. And it went fine. I heard all kinds of horror stories, and you probably have, too. But I'm sure your Doc delivers babies all day long and knows what he/she is doing. Of course, I bet you can refuse the induction, but at some point it becomes dangerous to keep baby in there any longer.

To answer your question, yes, keep walking. I've read that there is some pressure point on the foot that is supposed to induce labor...you should look that up. I also read that eating pinapple helps, but I have no idea how true that is cuz I ate lots of pineapple while pregnant!

Good luck to you, hope all goes well :)
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 6:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• BTW I agree with Ludvik. If you do decide to be induced, don't sweat it too much. I heard so many horror stories, but my inductions weren't that painful at all. Whatever you choose, good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Until you go PAST 42 weeks, you are not even "overdue". YOU and only you have the right to decide whether or not to be induced. They can't come get you, lock you up, pin you down and shove a needle in you. You are the one deciding to allow them to do it to you. There are so incredibly few legitimate medical reasons to induce... Unless I was certainly going to die, I would *never* permit an induction.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Why is your doctor inducing you? Are you overdue (past 42 weeks, for low-risk pregnancies)? Is there a medical problem? Or did he just pencil you in for an induction without asking if you wanted one? Mine did that at 37 weeks. wtf. I told him absolutely not, but then I went to 42 weeks 5 days and finally gave in after showing signs of preeclampsia. I am going to try really hard to avoid it next time, but if it comes down to it, it's not SO bad...it just shouldn't be prescribed against a woman's wishes, and without medical issues!

I've heard nipple stimulation (might be time to invest in a breast pump!) and sex (prostaglandins from the semen, as well as your own orgasms leading to contractions). Walking didn't work to make me go into labor, but I did have a short labor so maybe it helped (5 hours of labor, 9 minutes of pushing ;)).
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 6:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• "Dangerous to keep the baby in there"? No. Not at all. There are only a hand full of legitimate over due babies who actually needed help... ever. I can't believe women actually believe this!!! Were it true, we would have died out thousands of years ago!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Actually obby.... Going past 42 weeks can be very deadly. I was induced with my dd at 41 weeks 3 days, and my placenta started to calcify and attach to my uterus. I almost bled out. And my due date was very accurate.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2011