Why so many accidents all of a sudden?

my son has been pottied trained almost 2 months now and he was doing so good telling me when he had to potty. Well all of a sudden this week after visiting his 1 yr old cousin this past weelend he has been having atleast one to two accidents a day now. But the odd thing is he doesn't tell me he had an accident. Is this normal to revert like this all of a sudden? His cousin did get a lot of attention bc it was her 1st bday and she got put in hosppital for acute pneumonia the night of her bday but I have given my son tons of attention since we got home monday. Anyone else dealing with this? Any tips? He will be 2 1/2 in july

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 6:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its normal for them to be curious with their poop...they move from oral to anal stage at this age...if you believe in freud's theory that is, but im a psych major and I have witnessed it in many kids
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• This is normal. It could simply be because of the change in routine over the weekend. The extra attention his cousin received or any number of variations. I would recommend that you go right back to your consistent petty training routine that you were using to petty train him. Stay calm and focus on bringing him back to where he was. Have him help you clean up the accident and then don't mention it again. When he uses the petty offer a bit of extra praise. You might experience periods of regression over the next 2 yrs especially after major changes in home, school or routine, stressful situations or illness.
    freedommoments

Answer by freedommoments at 6:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I happens to all kids at one point. My daughter did it and so did both of my boys. All it was really was a simple change in my schedule and it sets them off. But once they adjust everything will be ok.
    allysmom3

Answer by allysmom3 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2011