My son has surgery in two weeks

what helps nerves? my little boy doesn't understand he is two :( I am worrying bad and I don't know what to do.. tonsils, adnoid are being removed

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Health

• Yeah, my daughter had them removed at that age and believe it or not, they grew back! The doctors said it's a one-in-a-gazillion chance of them growing back so she then had them removed again around 4. And this time, her adenoids grew back. I am not having it done again! Basically when my daughter came out of surgery the first time she literally opened her mouth and started screaming, it was horrible. We got her ice chips and stuff right away, pain meds etc. and she was totally OK a few minutes later. She did throw up blood in the car-make sure your kid has a bag to throw up in just in case. It will be OK!!! She thought she was special because she had all these people catering to her.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It will be just fine. Just keep praying. I had this surgery when I was fifteen. When I woke up, it felt like the worse case of strep throat ever! But make sure he takes a sip of something non acidic AS SOON as he wakes up because it DOES help! He will be fine!
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• it will be ok , he will be asleep , nerves probly be there till after surgury is OVER - huh
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Poor baby!!!! I know how scared u r!!!! My prayers go out to your little guy!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• just breathe mama! i just went through this with my son he was 3 and honestly he was a new kid after, he was up and about very quickly, lots of ice cream popsicles! my sons adenoids have grown back
    juansmommy

Answer by juansmommy at 7:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Celestial Seasonings Chamomile, Honey Vanilla Chamomile, or Tension Tamer teas. If YOU stay calm he'll be calmer.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• For me - it's finding out everything about the procedure and talking to a doctor or nurse who will be there.
    quietsmilie

Answer by quietsmilie at 7:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Honestly my son has had 23 surgeries and he is only 2. No matter how big or how small the surgery is, its still a huge deal to mama. With my son, I just go about the day like normal and just never really clue him in on what's going on (though now he has figured it out when we pull into the hospital). If he needs to be on clear liquid diet the day before, I do it too. (at least until he goes to bed we never eat what he can't have in front of him) Good luck
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 10:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2011