Grandparents Bill of Rights?

My state (AL) is currently running a Gradparents bill of rights through the channeks to passage. MY gut reaction to this is not good. My inlaws are CRAZY people who like nothing more than to use my children as pawns in their sick games. Giving and withholding affection on a whim. They would LOVE to use something like this to start drama. But on reading through some articles on this I find it's so sad that if one parent dies the other can deny the dead parent's parents access to the kids! But then AGAIN...maybe THEY have a good reason. At the end of the day they aer my children. Mine and my husbands. Shouldnt final say be ours?? What do you think??

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think parents need final say in who is around their children. State needs to keep their noses out of everyone's business.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I agree, the final say should be ours. Its terrible how this bill came about. I understand where those grandparents was coming from but not all parents are psychos.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Are you in the lower part of Alabama?
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• yes. :)
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I live in the Baldwin area
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I think you will find that in a site with more young parents, you will hear it's the parents' rights. On a site with more grandparents, who are bounced between being used as free babysitting (by which I mean, daycare) and being thrown aside in custody battles ("I hate my ex so her parents can't ever see the kids"), you will see the other side.

I am lucky to have great parents and in-laws, but I can see how this could be horrible, because if they are not good, you'd have to get some sort of legal document to keep them away from the kids. But I also see good, because I have known many grandparents who are used, mistreated and sometimes totally disregarded-- and often, the grandparents are a good, sane counterbalance to crazy, drug-using, etc parents. Some of my friends were NEVER allowed to see their grandchild, for 3 years and had done nothing. Now they are her (GD) caretakers, because it's cheap. Kids used, all hurt. Ugh.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• OH! I am in Mobile area! Yeah I just saw this story on the local news. WKRG. The man who is pushing it hard has a very sad story. I and i feel really bad for him. But it seems like a slippery slope to start passing laws like this!
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• If my state ever tried to do something like that I would move. My MIL is a psycho b*tch and I don't want her having any "rights" to my children.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• We are practically neighbors!
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I'm a parent and a grandparent and I don't believe in grandparents rights. I love my grandkids to death. I have two living with me that will be moving out of state next month and my heart is crushed, but NEVER would I think about forcing any visitation. My daughter is their mother and has the right to refuse visitation to me if she so desires.

And I live in Lower Alabama (or so they call it, I'm just south of Dothan in FL) LOL
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2011