If you can't find your childs shot records, do you have to have the shots redone?

My daughter had all her necessary shots when she was a baby, but the pediatrician she had them done at is no longer in practice. I can't even find out where all his patient records ended up. Apparently he didn't report all the shots he did on her to the state, because they only have shots on her up to her 6 month check-up. I asked one pediatricians office how they would handle it if a patients shot record couldn't be located, and they said they would have to start over on the ones that were not documented. There is no record of my daughter having the MMR or chicken pox vaccine. So would I have to have those shots redone on my daughter. I was getting ready to get her 5 year shots, but I'm afraid that I would have to start over with those shots and have them redone instead of just getting the boosters.

TexasRDA

Asked by TexasRDA at 8:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if you lose them then you can file for lost records but if you've only seen on facility and THEY lost them then yes you would have to do them again. I had a friend go through this
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 8:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Texas has a shot registry or something. I cant remember what its called. That way if you lose them you can get them. But if your doc didn't have them input I don't know ( i said TX cause your name if your.) You can always go the the health office and talk to them. They can tell you if you dont have a doc right now.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Is there a way to ask the insurance company at the time if they have a record of what was billed? You might be able to find it that way.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• If you don't want to redo the shots, you know you don't have to right? You can sign a waiver so she can still go to school.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Additional information: He didn't report them to the state. I tried that and found out that he only reported them up to her 6 month shots. They have no record of the 12 month or 15 month shots. I'm not sure about the insurance company though. I hadn't thought of that but I might try remembering what insurance we had back then and see what I could find out. I
    TexasRDA

Answer by TexasRDA at 9:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

Reply: I want to get her boosters though, and I'm afraid they won't consider it a booster if they have no record of the first ones having been done.
    TexasRDA

Answer by TexasRDA at 9:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I would find a doctor that would do the shots she needs at her current age. I would NOT re-do vaccinations that my child has already had.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• No, you don't. You can tell her new doctor that you will only allow them to give the boosters normal 5 yr olds get because you KNOW she had all her shots. You have to sign off on anything she gets, so they can only do what you allow them to.

If they refuse -- or if you just choose -- you can file an file an exemption & still send your child to school. Every state allows for immunization exemptions.

I would not allow them to repeat any shots she's already had.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My dr. lost my son's records, and they just played catch up, basically just what was needed for his age... it wasn't that many shots.
    kcrunion73

Answer by kcrunion73 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I have this exact same thing happen to me--except my daughter is 4--and I am wanting her to go to pre-k.

I keep reaching dead ends--and am at my wits end to figure out what to do.

All I know is that I am NOT willing to just redo them simply to get a piece of paper to say that she's had them!!! I KNOW that she had them!!!

Cricket714

Answer by Cricket714 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2009