I've never breast fed before.can I formula feed and breast feed,alternating it?

Hil1

Asked by Hil1 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk to your doctor.... every woman is different. Your OB and Ped can offer the support and advice you need. If you do formula feed.... all formulas are not the same!!!!!!!!!!! Similac Advance with Early Shield is the closest to breast milk on the market. And, if you do switch between breast feeding and bottle, it will be the most consistant for the baby for digestion. I am a pediatric health care professional... it is my job to know these things. I have researched the "big two" (don't go near Good Start), Enfamil and Similac. Similac Early Shield is fantastic. See http://similac.com/feeding-nutrition/baby-immune-system-prebiotics. (Similac should pay me);)
    Anonymous

• You can, but I'd suggest not introducing a bottle until you have breastfeeding and your milk supply well established, as it can interfere with both.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I did. My son and I had a hard time breast feeding, so I would do both. But I know now that I could have gotten help with it. If you wanna do just BF, but you don't know how, there is always help at the WIC office! I don't believe they charge you anything and you don't have to be on with to get the help. I wish I knew that when I was trying.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• You can but it will be very hard to keep your supply up.
    ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 8:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Try pumping and feeding that if you want to bottle feed as well as breast feed. This will help keep your supply up.

Answer by Bmat at 8:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• You could but I wouldn't advise it. You won't hardly get any milk. In the beginning when you start Breastfeed and pump like crazy even when your not producing milk. It will cause a lot of milk to come in so you will have a big supply. In the very beginning is the best time to establish your supply.
    Anonymous

• it's going to throw off breastfeeding a lot, not even worth it. but of course, possible.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Absolutely. But like another mom suggested, to ensure that your milk supply comes in properly, try to hold off on introducing the bottle for a few weeks. The bottle nipples can interfere with the baby's latch while nursing, which in turn can affect your milk supply. And, yes, it is worth it to do both. Any breastmilk you can give to your child is better than none. And if you choose not to nurse at all, your baby will be just as well-nourished with formula. Do what feels right for you. I wish you the best of luck.

sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 9:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• You can, but it would be alot better for your supply and for your baby to JUST breastfeed :) good luck!!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2008