Have you heard a person say "go ahead have the last word"

i don't get why i am always told this, i don't get what it even means.
once i'm done talking then i'll stop it's that simple.
they say it so mean too, like they are trying to hurt me, but it doesn't since i don't even get it

lizzybee44

Asked by lizzybee44 at 7:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• Having the last word is a reference to when a person...well, it can be a couple things: either they insist on being right, so they keep arguing until you stop talking so they "get the last word", or they always feel like they have to be the one to end a conversation, so they keep saying things wanting to be the last one to speak. It sounds like, if people are telling you this, that they either think you are trying to be right all the time, or that you keep talking even when you shouldn't, trying to be the one to end that conversation. I can't say that you are doing either of those things, but I would say maybe you should take a look at yourself and see if there's anything there that they could be basing this on and maybe try to change that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I say it to my hubby sometimes if were in a heated argument. Its something in their head, makes them okay, makes some men have the need to always be right, but Im stubborn too so I guess it makes more sense to me.
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 7:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• no, but if they did I'd probably say good! because I planned to! :)
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2011