How has the economy affected you?

Have you been hit hard by our economy? Lost your job? The price of gas and food hitting your pocketbook? Lost your house? Living with family?

My husband lost his job in 2009, and I got sick at the same time. We moved in with my mother in law and we are still living with her. Hubs retrained from carpenter to work with HVAC, and he just started back to work this month. We have spent all of our retirement savings, we are on food stamps, and we have unpaid medical bills. But, I guess it could always be worse!

Has the economy of the last few years affected you and how?

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• We have defiantly had to cut back. Gas is killing us... Dh works an hr away. He spends $500 a month in gas or more by himself. It also feels like something major has to go wrong every month which is making it that much harder. Our puppy got hit, so that was $600, now my jeep needs breaks... We deal, but things are tough
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• All of the above
    We have lost almost everything. We are holding on by a thread.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It has affected us. Bye bye retirement.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My husband lost his good paying job as a service manager at a car dealership (the only type of job he has had since high school was in the auto industry) so he was unemployed for 6 months, found another job making a lot less and was very unhappy for about a year. He finally found something he likes and is good at, but it is still 1/2 the amount he used to make. I still have my same job, so we are making it, but just barely. Every month there is a major bill that is late (house, car) We unfortunately have learned that it takes 2 months for them escalate, so we are never caught up.
    It is very stressful and I feel bad spending money on any form of entertainment, but we also have to live too...
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• in every way, i lost my job due to a decrease in customers and it wasn't a very good job to begin with, now unemployment and stuff ugh..oh well..at least we are scraping by and my son is taken care of.
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 8:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Not at all, except we were able to buy a larger house due to the low interest rates.

Answer by missanc at 8:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It hasn't. I did notice towards the end of my contract, I was bringing home $422 a payday after gas for both vehicles and daycare. It did not start that way!!! I did get two brand new car loans at 1.9% APR though. I save, save, save. I only get money from the VA and I put $150 in my savings acct and $200 from my husband's paychecks. IF I did not get a lot of money after my dad died, we would be struggling.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Hit hard - two years ago a 25% pay cut, no raises, pay more for medical insurance, gas (obviously),.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 9:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• We lost $100,000 of value on our house. My husband's job has sucked extra hard because the clients keep backcharging for stupid stuff, knowing that everybody really needs the job so there's not much we can do. Honestly though, at this point I'm glad he's got a job and makes decent money. The unemployment rate in Vegas is ridiculous.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• We have been hit pretty hard, my husband has lost 2 different jobs in 3 years from downsizing, and the gas prices are definatly making it EXTRA hard now, and money for food is def a prob, however we do not quailify for food stamps or help! Go figure! We struggle every month with the fear of loosing our home from lack of enough money! But so far we are still in it!
    giggls2hrd

Answer by giggls2hrd at 11:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2011