Would you buy a yearbook for an elementary school-age child?

My son's school sells yearbooks for $19. Not sure if this money even goes to help the school. He is in second grade. He had a really good year this year, academically, socially, and really wanted a yearbook. I wasn't able to order one, but there were extras, and I used some money I had leftover from a Mother's Day gift, and I picked one up today.

But I don't know how I feel about this. I only had yearbooks in middle school and high school and I only bought my 8th grade and 12th grade yearbooks.

Are elementary school yearbooks ridiculous?

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If I could afford it I would buy one. I think it would be a great memory.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I still have my year books from elementary school and they mean more to me than my high school ones do. If your son really wants one, it will mean something to him.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I have every year book from K-12, they were signed by my friends at the time and are cute to look back at. I hope they aren't as expensive @ my kids school, b/c then I might have second thoughts.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• yes i would... my parents bought me a year book in elem. school.. i like looking back at them. I do remember some of this kids in them.. To me its memories.
    Anonymous

• I only got one yearbook from grade school,for my son. I only had yearbooks in highschool!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I would! Maybe not every year, but at least one or two. Just the other day a friend from elementary school posted an old photo of a group of us at some recital and no one could name all the kids in it. I wish now that I had a year book from that time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I have for all three of mine but they are $10 each.  It's the only class picture they get anymore.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No... My mom got me one for every single year I was in school. Know where they are now? Me either. lol. The only one I still have is from my last year in Public High school.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Ours were $20. I only have one child in elementary right now & no, I did not get one. My middle schooler got one because they did a fundraiser at her school & every student got one for free this year. I might consider buying one next year for my other child (she will be in first grade). I do indeed think the price is ridiculous though. I paid $25 for my senior high school year book...of course that was 22 years ago. I have a son who graduated last year & I didnt get him a year book any year he was in high school because he said he didnt want one. Maybe later in life he will regret this but oh well. He does have some from elementary but those were only $8 or $10 at the time. I think $20 is really pushing it.
    Anonymous

• Wow, I'm really surprised you're charged for them at all! When I was in elementary school, when you picked your photo package, a yearbook was always included. I thought it was still like that!

With that said, I also am one of the ones that has every yearbook from K - 12. In middle school is when we had to start paying for them.
    itsmommalori

Answer by itsmommalori at 7:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2011