Truck driver wives?

How do you deal when the other half of your heart is gone:(?

babygirl_18

Asked by babygirl_18 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• My truck driver works transporting containers but he's home every night.The farthest he will go is one state over. I am so glad for that.But sometimes he leaves at 3 a.m. and he's not home till 10 pm...then kids end up not seeing him for a few days because of that.
    On those days I miss him so much, so I can only imagine how you feel if your driver is gone OTR. :(
    I just tell myself that absense makes the heart grow.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My mom was married to my dad (a truck driver) for 23 years. She busied herself with her kids (us). She could have enriched hobbies and found friends, but she chose not to, she was content to keep house and raise kids.

Sorry you're dealing with this. It's rough when your other half is gone for long stretches!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Its aweful hubby is gone to new york and left last monday and wont be back till next monday and i am sooo (i geuss it feels like) heart broken
    babygirl_18

Comment by babygirl_18 (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Mine's home once a month for 2-6 days. We spend a lot of time on the phone together. I have plenty of hobbies (photography, writing, reading, swimming, cooking) to keep me busy, plus the 2 kids. I take care of the house, pay the bills, run errands and all that. I find things to keep me busy when we're not on the phone so that I don't dwell on the fact that he's not here. I like being able to fix something in the house and then tell him I did it, and to hear him be impressed that I managed that on my own.

Is this new for you? I know for me, when I was first learning to deal with this, it was really hard. I missed him so much and I really wallowed in it. Eventually, I realized things were better when I kept myself busy and it gave me stuff to talk to him about, and so even though I still miss him, it's become easier to deal with.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Im not to new at it and its not as much as your hubby stays gone but its almost like a tease he will come home and work at his works warehouse and then a out of town job will pop up and he is gone the next day for a week or two or even a couple days and i am feel like i am never going to get used to it. when he is gone its like everything is bad..and plus he isnt much of a talker plus niether am i because of my twins and 18 month screaming i can not talk to anyone and my family is all in another state
    babygirl_18

Comment by babygirl_18 (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• You get use to it. When hubby first started out it would be a couple of months before I would see him. We stayed on the phone constantly. Now he is home everynight. It gets better. There is a Trucker Wives group on here.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• really well i will have to check that out.
    babygirl_18

Comment by babygirl_18 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• my hubby and i talked several times a day, he would call to say goodnight. he is no longer over the road but it was hard mising him kept busy with the kids etc
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2011