Do you think its dangerouse to get your nails done?

Maybe sounds like a stupid question to some at first, lol
But here to what I mean, there was a time when I wanted to get mine done and had them done for a couple of months until I got tired of it, also money wise.
Then maybe 6 months after I hadnt get mine done anymore I read an article in a magazine about getting your nails done and what you should be aware of. For instance you should ask them/make sure that they sterilize the tool they use on your after every costumer. Well if you ask they probably tell you yes we do it, even if they dont, I thought, right? How could you make sure. Once when she made my nails, she poke me in my finger and I was bleeding a bit. What she actually did with the "tools" she was using on me I dont know cause when she was done she sent me over to wash my hands and when I came back the table was clean and she would get the rest of the work done. I didnt even thing about that until I read the article.
Other that that I read that they have to really clean the tub where the wash your feed for a pedicure, it said that for instance if the first customer has a fungus and its not sanitized correctly,( it was mentioned that most placed just whip it down quickly) basically everyone afterwards could caught that fungus or any other kind of infection all you need is a little tiny crack in the skin!

So all that totally freaked me out about ever getting my nails done. Anyone with me on this or do I overreact now? What are your opinions on this? How can you make sure a place is "safe". Watch how they clean up after a customer??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I don't think it is 'risk free' but I wouldn't call it dangerous. Especially if you are using a notable establishment. Reviews and personal references are always good.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Everything has it's risks. For me the risks here are to high, I'll just paint my own nails - I see no reason for acrylic, I just grow my own. But after my aunt lost her hearing because of how the chemicals in a salon affected her, I'm simply not willing to breath that stuff. Hell, I don't burn candles because of the VOCs, I certainly won't walk in to a place where chemicals are the business...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• You check out doctors, dentists and tattoo shops before you use them. This is no different.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No way would I get my nails done. Here's just the latest reasons: Pros and cons of Shellac nail polish

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• all the chemicals cause the workers to look nerve functioning - for example more than once when getting my pedi === they had to ask if the water was the right temp because they really couldnt feel it anymore. made me realize it really isnt worth the risk or the money.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I have been getting my nails and toes done for year with any problems at all.  The place I go to is very clean, everyone customers get new supplies and the old one get clean but most the place is very well ventaled.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Well, if you are uncertain about if they are sanitzing their tools. Just ask them to do it in front of you. I have a lady who comes in to get her makeup done and I have to sanitize the brushes and all my tools in front of her. I even have to wash my hands in front of her as well. No biggie, it just makes her feel safer that she won't catch something.
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• i dont haveto worry about that considering i do my own.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 11:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• You do need to be careful that the place you are going to is doing things so they don't pass infections along. I don't have mine done because I have allergies and will react to the lanolin in nail products. No good having nice nail and hives from having them done.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:59 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I have been getting my nails done for a long time. Never had any problems. Where I go I have my own box of tools. Each customer has their own and they clean everything. You have to watch where you go.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2011