How do I get my 6yr. old to eat vegs? He's a very picky eater..PLEASE HELP!!!!

bandk4ever

Asked by bandk4ever at 9:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• hide them in food no lie my bro is 15 and my mom still has to do this. it seems to work
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I hide them. I puree things like spinach and carrots and add them to tomato sauce when we have spaghetti. Also, having dip or melted cheese on them helps. My son is really difficult about it too.
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I never hid them. I just served vegetables at every lunch and/or dinner. My kids just got used to seeing them on the table. I never forced them ( my mom never forced me, either) and now my kids all LOVE vegetables-even the ones(like spinach and Brussels sprouts) that most kids turn up their noses at. I think the secret is to never insist that they eat the vegetable, but let them try it. I love almost ALL vegetables and so do ALL my kids!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 10:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Hide it. It works. Purees are wonderful.
    mom050607

Answer by mom050607 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Try breads (zucchini carrot )...keep up with vitamins....try raw with Ranch
    PcolaC

Answer by PcolaC at 11:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• A picky eater only gets to continue to be picky if allowed. Serve what you do and give him two choices---he either eats it or goes hungry. You don't have to "force" him or make him, but don't offer alternatives if he doesn't want to eat what is served. Or you can allow him ONE food he can choose not to eat--the rest he has to:-)
    Anonymous

• oh my I am 33 and still hate vegtables!!! I have 3 kids who all love them!! Go figure. But husband is the cook who forces me to eat them so he puts cheese on them. Works for me!!!
    brandid

Answer by brandid at 11:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I don't like spinach generally, but I like it in spinach dip with chips. He might like that.

Broccoli with cheese sauce

glazed carrots if he prefers sweet

Raw veggies with ranch dip

Do a salad bar night once a week - have a wide variety of veggies and he gets to choose but he has to pick two each week and eat them. (have fun stuff too, so he can mix in stuff he does like)

Oh yeah V8 splash juices - they are sweet but have veggies in them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i mash my sons veg up into mash but not every day also kids love raw carrots also colslaw has white cabbage in it as well.
    debbiee

Answer by debbiee at 10:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My children's Dr. suggests having the children go to the store with you and pick the veggies that he or she would like to try. Then let the children help prepare the veggies and then have them taste the veggies. Sometimes I cook things and do not offer it to the children and they always want to taste it. I always tell them that even if they do not like a vegetable now that they may want to try it again another time that they might change their mind about it later. Good luck!
    momatisa

Answer by momatisa at 11:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2008