How early is too early

how early is too early to leave your baby for a 24 hour period??? i have 24 hour duty tomorrow and my DS is 8 weeks old. I am going through separation anxiety tonight. I dont want to leave him for that long!! I am going to ask my sergeant to go see him a couple of times throughout the day. He is going to be with my best friend so I shouldnt be stressing but I am.

kristianmommy

Asked by kristianmommy at 9:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you have to do it, you have to do it. It's good you are leaving him with someone you trust. I don't think it's ever easy to leave your baby over night for the first time, so your feelings are normal. Hopefully it goes by fast...good luck!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Wow, that stinks, but I am sure he will be just fine. It will be over before you know it!
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 10:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I left mine at 7 days with our pediatrician (we are very close I used to work for her) and several more times after that.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• my husband and i just left our 12 week old for the first time last night. it was hard but we made it :)

a friend of mine has a two year old who she didn't leave until he was about a year and a half and she can't hardly leave him ever because he gets so upset. so i guess i feel its better to leave them in good hands now and check in when you can than have a toddler who starts world war three if you even try to leave them for even just a few hours.

good luck mama, you'll be okay! :)
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 11:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I'm sure regardless of the time one as a parent has a super hard time. My dh and I go out for a dinner and a movie and always leave the movie for another day. We can stant to be away from our dd. She's 15 months. However, when she was 8 weeks we had to leave her at a daycare for 1/2 day and I can tell you that it was the hardest decision I had to make. So, I'm sure your baby will be fine. WE as parent had to do what we had to do for them. In the end all you are doing it's for your DS well bing. God bless you for your service and may He also help you with the separation.
    xnegritalindax

Answer by xnegritalindax at 7:57 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• For ME, that would be too early and too long of a period. But this isn't about what would work for ME. If YOU don't feel it's too early, or too long of a period, then it should work out.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I didn't spend 24 hours away from my children until they were school age. Can you quit?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• i wish it was that easy.... i cant just quit the military overnight...LOL i am getting out of the army hopefully by the end of the summer. I cant take this anymore- i just want to be a stay at home mommy!!!
    kristianmommy

Comment by kristianmommy (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• There is no bench mark age. My DS was a year before he spent a full night away from me but he was with his grandparents while I worked at 7 weeks. It is hard the first time but keep telling yourself that he is with someone you trust and think how happy he will be to see you when you get home!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Aw hun! I feel for you...but he will be fine :) No time is too early...but I hear ya! It's tough to be away from your baby!
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2011