Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I have a custody question and its very important

I got remarried and my husband got a job in another city, he is already there and i plan to move. I share joint custody with my first childs father and i was wondering if anyone knew how far you can move legally without the other parents permission. If you cant what are reasons a court will allow a move.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (11)
  • I though that was something you would have already established in your custody agreement.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • It depends on the state and it should be in your agreement. If you want to move out of state you will likely need the courts permission, which can be very difficult because you'll have to show why it's in the child best interest. A huge priority in the courts is keeping the best relationship possible between the child and each parent and if your currently have joint custody it is hard to convince them to let you interfere with the relationship the other parent has with the child. I don't mean to freak you out but you might not be allowed to take your child with you. It really depends on the laws and the judge. Talk to a lawyer

    Answer by kayslay at 10:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • If it isn't already in your agreement, then I think it would depend on your ex more than the judge. If your ex says okay, and it is put into an agreement, then a judge most likely wouldn't override that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • Yeah I agree with anonymous on that point, if your ex doesn't mind then that will make thing a ton easier. You still need to go to court though and have things be made official so that your ex can't get you in trouble down the road. If the current agreement entitles him to x y and z days and you move away he could cause problems saying your infringing on his visitation that he's allowed according to the agreement. Try to get your ex on board.

    Answer by kayslay at 10:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • So far he is saying he will give it a try, we are not even moving more than 100 miles away. It is about an hour and a half drive so its not too far. He is willing to adjust the visitation schedule and see how it goes so i am hopeful for the best.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • As far as I am aware you are not allowed to move to another state without other parents consent, unless they do not see their child or have abandoned them!

    Answer by Hayleesgmom at 10:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • Its not out of state just to a different city.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • I think you'd have to be prepared to finance the extra travel expense so as not to change the original visitation schedule.....that's only fair since you're making the change. If that's not an issue, I can't see why it would be a problem to your child's father.

    Answer by InquiringMind at 12:36 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

  • I think as long as u dont go out of state to live u should be fine wout telling him!!!

    Answer by budda646 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

  • usually its a 100 mile radius if the judge grants you to move u will have to pay for transport

    Answer by rinamomof2 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting

Next question overall (Health)
I'm 37 weeks pregnant and bleeding