Recipes for a mum who cant cook :]

im the epitome of bad housewife...okay okay i also work full time and my SO is usually the chef of the family :]

but i am gonna be doing more of the cooking from now on and need some easy peasy recipes so that we dont live on ramen and cereal :]

any ideas on easy things?

allergies only to bbq sauce for my DS, Shellfish for me, and we only eat red meat sparingly so anything with turkey or chicken :]

babymaycker

Asked by babymaycker at 10:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Box of family size macaroini and cheese+bag of frozen peas+can of tunafish= easy tuna cassarole(add peas in the last few minutes of noodles boiling, add the tuna after the cheese powder has been mixed in with the noodles and peas). You can do Annie's Family Size mac, organic peas and an organic canned fish to "up the ante" and have an even healthier meal.

Also, sloppy joes, tuna melts, spaghetti and meatballs (frozen meatballs are good... I usually add 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar to a jar of ready-made spaghetti sauce to make it taste better. Serve with shredded mozarella cheese and frozen garlic bread).

Hope this helps:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• www.bettycrocker.com/recipes
    www.myrecipes.com
    kidshealth.org/kid/recipes/index.html
    allrecipes.com
    this is afew of favorite websites. i also use cookbooks, my favorite on is the family fun disney cookbook. they have alot of good ideas and most of the recipes the kids can help with. barnes and noble have it for 20 bucks. or you could go to the library and check them out. another thing i do is something called complete meals in a box. it comes in different flavors so you don't have the samething all the time.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Goes some chicken. The cheap stuff is fine here. Leg quarters, thighs, whatever.
    Put em in the crock pot.
    Add some lime, cilantro, bay leaf, sri racha, a packet of taco seasoning...spice it up.
    Let it do it's thing for like 4 hours. Take the chicken out and take it off the bone, skin and shred it.
    Put it back in for an hour.

Now you have a buttload of deliciously spiced shredded chicken. You can do quesadillas, tacos, burritos etc. After I do that for a day or two, I will throw it in a casserole dish with rice, cream of something soup, broccoli or mixed veggies, and cheese. Oh, and some water. Cover and bake - 350, until the water is absorbed. At this point you can serve or take it out and top with breadcrumbs, french fried onions, or crunched ritz crackers.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Oh, and please don't go the boxed food route. There's no reason to feed that to anyone. Fresh not one bit harder.
    Hell, season some breasts with salt pepper and lemon zest, bake em, serve with quinoa and roasted bell peppers. (all ya gotta do is slice em, drizzle olive oil season with pepper and broil for 5-7 mins. Don't salt til they come out - salt will pull the moisture out of them)

MMM bacon wrapped green beans. This is an easy one too. Get fresh green beans and clean them (snap the ends off). Drizzle in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Take 3-4 at a time and wrap with a half a slice of bacon. Put them on a rack in the oven with a sheet pan under to catch the oil. 375 about 15 mins or until the bacon looks crispy. (It won't get skillet crispy this way, but it won't be soggy either)
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• um im liking the easiness im seeing so far! thanks friends! any otherS?
    babymaycker

Comment by babymaycker (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Casseroles are a great place to start ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2011