My son loves Pink.

He is 3. Pink is his favorite color. At this age it's hard to find... So he wears girl clothes sometimes. Mostly footie pajamas and princess and the frog. He also has a pink pair of winter boots.

It makes my SO mad that I allow it. He swears up and down I am altering his future... He thinks he will be a cross dresser. I don't think it will do any damage in any way. I think it's a phase and he will grow out of it.

Has anyone ever had a little boy like this? If so, did you allow it or stop it and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Omg that is funny. I have no advice but once when my friend had a baby boy I painted his nails. His dad ran for the nailpolish remover and took it off right away for fear of him turning gay lol. Who cares?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• When my youngest was 2 he proudly wore his sister's old pink snowboots. The next year it was the purple light up ones and cried when his feet were too big the next year. This is a boy's boy. He makes weapons out of spaghetti. He plays swords and pirates.

Your son will grow out of it more than likely. And he will be who he is. If he is a cross dresser it will be because that is who he is not because you allowed him to wear pink princess pjs when he was 3. It is the same for my oldest playing Barbies with my DD or DD playing cars with both boys. They are who they are and just go with what interests them at the time.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My son doesn't like pink, but he loves to wear nail polish. It doesn't bother me at all. I want him to be completely comfortable with himself, and I don't care what the general public thinks is "ok" for my child. On a related note, just yesterday he asked his little kindergarten girlfriend to marry him.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I have a 4-year-old boy and a 2-year-old girl. My mom found a gorgeous dress at a consignment store, looks like it was probably a flower girl dress or something--pink and poofy with flowers embroidered on it. My son wears it more than my daughter (I have a much harder time with the fact that they can wear the same size...!). He loves his "pretty dress". And I let him wear it. My husband gripes about it sometimes, but for the most part I think he knows that, as I see it, it's about what our son likes, not what my husband likes.

I see no problems with it. We're the ones who assign gender roles, not children. They don't care. They like what they like, and it has nothing to do with "boy" or "girl". And preferences change, it's not like he's necessarily going to want Princess and the Frog shirts when he's a teenager (I'm sorry if he does...that could be a pain to find in that size, lol).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My son is now 12. When he was 4 he LOVED pink. It didn't bother me so I got him things in pink if that was the color he picked. Heck, I bought him Polly Pocket dolls if he wanted them! Now, at age 12 if I point out something pink he says "That's a girl color". I never said those words to him. He just decided it was no longer for him. He no longer wants the 'girl' toys either. Just let him go. Liking pink is NOT an indication of anything, just like liking blue isn't an indication of anything either.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Mama, he's your kid. Raise him to be a happy child who is secure with himself, regardless of what some hag on the internet thinks.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My husband and I do Civil War reenacting...to be period correct, both of our children wear dresses. Boys didn't "graduate" to pants until they were potty trained. When you look at old portraits, the only difference between little boys and little girls is where the hair is parted. This is a pic of a boys dress in the late 1800's: http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/museum/collections/online/Detlobjps.cfm?ObjectID=28853 And that really didn't change until the 1920-30's when boys started to wear knickerbockers earlier.

So, if this whole notion of boy vs girl clothing and colors making some sort of gender statement is BS. My 2 yo likes his sister's sparkly shoes...who cares? They are little kids. Its fun to them.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 3:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• This whole pink for girls and blue for boys is just a recent thing. It's just a marketing thing to get us to buy separate things for girls and boys. Seriously! And they used to say that pink is a strong color so is better for boys. Check out this article (and have your husband read it). It's really interesting! My little boy likes pink and purple things, and I think that's just fine.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/When-Did-Girls-Start-Wearing-Pink.html

Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Some woman here posted something in newcomers I believe when her son (6 or 7 I believe) had a bday party. She accomodated his tastes and got him pink and purple balloons. ...If that's what he likes why fight it. Kids usually change their "favorite colors" many times anyway. He's 3, let him enjoy it.
    Anonymous

• I don't think there is anything wrong with this.Boys wearing pink will not make them gay, nor will painting their nails. I painted my sons toe nails when he was three. He wanted them painted because his sister and I painted ours. He picked out a green polish one day and I figured why not. He is four now and does not ask any more. He has also stopped wanting to put on makeup like his sister. Your son will outgrow it.....or he won't. I just don't think this kind of thing is a big deal! This is a great opportunity for you and your SO to show your son that you don't care what others think of him, you love him no matter what!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:08 AM on Jun. 4, 2011