Smelly feet.

My son is 7 tomorrow.
His feet smell so bad I've been throwing his shoes away. He got a pair of shoes just under a month ago and they smelled so bad you could smell them throughout the house. I've been using odor eaters powder in his shoes. But as soon as he takes them off, you can instantly smell it.
I've never even known an adult that has this bad of an issue.
He is on Intuniv, but I can't find any information that lists this as a side effect.
What are your thoughts?
Should I seek medical treatment for this or just learn to deal with it?
Any suggestions on getting rid of or even masking the smell?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My sister had this problem at this age. My Mom started putting her shoes into plastic zip bags and freezing the shoes. She got this on a recommendation from my sisters orthopedic when she broke her ankle. It really did help and made her shoes last a little longer.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Have you tried other kinds of socks? I will try to be brief, my friend has a son with a sensory disorder, and forever his shoes smelled awful. she got him some diabetic socks to "wear" around the house, he started with about an hour a time, and got a reward, they are much thinner that regular socks and don't have lots of elastic in them so they don't feel as binding. By the end of last summer he was wearing socks to school. She also purchased 3 pairs of shoes for school and rotated them by the day, the problem is moisture that can't dry up and causes smell. You need to rotate his shoes and set the shoes outside when he comes home, the sun should help the problem. I would take your shoes that are stinky now and wash them in hot water with bleach, then let them dry for 48 hours in the sun,, good luck momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:38 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Not wearing socks allows for the sweat to penetrate the shoes instead of being absorbed by the socks. The reason for freezing every night is to kill off the bacteria that causes the smell.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• does he wear the same pair of shoes everyday? That happens to my daughter if she wears the same pair over and over. Try giving the shoes a couple of days to dry, that way they will not smell.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 10:08 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Does he wear socks?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• try some Lotrimin or Tinactin powder - it helped my little brother when he went thru the same phase

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Freezing them every night or prior to the first wear?

No, he doesn't wear socks. He has Aspergers and socks are constricting to him, so his doctor recommended that I don't force him to wear them. I should have mentioned that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I knew that not wearing socks was a factor, I just didn't think it could smell that bad in such a short amount of time!! I am going to try the freezer and see if that helps at all. I know the foot powder surely isn't working.
    It's summer now, so we can start doing flip flops once school gets out. But it's still an issue in the winter with shoes and boots.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I've heard of freezing shoes before to help with the odor. Good luck!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 12:53 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I was also going to suggest switching out shoes every couple of days. Wearing the same ones every day does not let them air out, especially since he's not wearing socks.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:49 AM on Jun. 4, 2011