Ok, so we are going on a long car trip for X-mas, any advice on how to travel with a 2 month old?

So we are driving from Indiana to FL, for x-mas and I was just wondering how you moms have traveled with a baby before. I was thinking the other day, since we have drove straight through before, that we probably arent going to be able to do that this time with her. Right? I know that you can't, well aren't supposed to ride with your child in your arms, so should I definately not do this even if I am sitting in the back seat? I am a little worried about it, but my parents used to do the same thing when I was a baby and my mom said she just sat in the back seat with me fed me and changed me and put me back in my seat. So what have you done or what do you think? Please dont flip out on me, and think I am a terrible mom for asking this, I'm just wondering how this is going to work out, and what to plan for...any positive advice would be great! Thanks.

laurenparent

Asked by laurenparent at 9:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Holidays

• oooh traveling with baby will be a challenge, we did when our littlest was 3 months old, we had to stop every couple of hours so i could change and nurse him, he slept quite well in the car though, make sure you have an extra binky or 3 with you just in case you lose one when you take the baby out of the seat. i had pumped while driving and had some extra bottles to give him the fresh breastmilk in the car seat when he got a little fussy. dont take baby out while driving to feed or change him, my aunt did that back in the day and they got hit by another vehicle and thank god he is still here, but is mentally challenged, he WAS normal though. Be Safe and have fun.
    AmFam5

Answer by AmFam5 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• We took a long trip when my daughter was a month old, I sat in the back seat and took her out of her car seat long enough to feed and change her and then put her back in, she wasn't out for long periods of time so I wasn't worried about it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I would set the car seat in the middle of the seat to see the baby. I you are nursing; nurse right before you leave and figure out how many x you'll be nursing during the trip. Even if the baby doesn't get fussy, you can spend time talking to him and touching him every now and then. Hopefully you can leave when the baby does most of his sleeping. The trip there and back doesn't have to be horrible.
    lovewing

Answer by lovewing at 1:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I would try to stop as often as possible, not only to feed and change her, but to let her out of the carseat for a bit. You can bring some toys along to try to entertain her if she gets fussy in the car. At that age, I think my boys mostly just slept in the car, so hopefully you'll get lucky and have that! I would never take her out of her seat though. You just never know what could happen and it's so not worth the risk. I hope you have a good trip!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 1:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I have actually done the car trip with my two month old son and 2 yr old daughter. (side note.. i also BF him).. I don't think you are a terrible mother, just a new one and wanting the best for your child..
    So this is what my husband and I did.. we drove four hours pulled over (truck stop, rest stop, or food place) changed diapers, feed, burped and held him for a bit.. put him back into the seat and off we went.. we had to stay the night in a hotel.. and at that point I would nurse him.. other feedings I would pump and bottle him.. It did great.. a little cranky.. but that's usually when we tried to pull off to care.. It's hard and can get stressful.. but just try to do the best you can. Oh my son LOVED to sleep the entire time we were driving.. which helped a lot.. (by the way I did the trip from Mid Tx to northeastern Indiana.. was a 2 day trip).. I hope this helps..
    Lovingmomma2

Answer by Lovingmomma2 at 4:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2008