Fixing a quilt??

I recently bought a beautiful quilt from a garage sale for $3 with the plan of using it on my daughter's "big girl" bed this coming winter. Upon further looking after getting home, one of the fabrics they used is a very thin cotton and is torn along almost all of the seam edges. I have tried hemming this, but I know it is not going to last. Any advice on how to fix this quilt (I have no experience with quilting, but I would like to fix this one if it isn't too difficult). Thanks for your help:)

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 10:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I am just a beginning quilter, I never had to repair one yet.
    But if you go to a group called quilting moms I am sure they can tell you.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 10:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• My advice would be to take it to a local quilt shop. If they cannot help you fix it, they will be able to recommend someone who can. I know that I can fix quilts, but would need to see it before I could say anything for sure. You are welcome to pm me.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• thank you both:) I have joined the quilters group to ask the question and am going to search for local quilt fixing shops. I cannot resist buying homemade quilts and blankets. I just think of all the time, effort and love that is in each stitch and want to snuggle them... and they hold up a lot better than store bought blankets.
    bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Having experienced eyes evaluate the kind of repair needed will be best (as PP suggest). If there is no actual 'quilting' over the pieces that need to be replaced, you may be able to do it yourself. But, this will be a great learning opportunity for you. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 5:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2011