Has anyone on here ever been diagnosed with Strep B during pregnancy and has it affected ur baby? I just found out today that i am a carrier of this bacteria and am scared

How do i deal with this until i am due? i only have 3 weeks and six days left.

lovinganother

Asked by lovinganother at 9:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• When you go into labor they will put you on antibiotics so it's not passed onto the baby if you deliver vaginal. Have you tried to google and get more info?

Anonymous

• don't be scared they just hang some antibiotics before the baby comes down the birthcanal.. just make sure you get to the hospital when they instruct you be there. my friend had strep b and thats what they did for her..
    AmFam5

Answer by AmFam5 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I did not have it with my first two but I did with my third. I also found out at 37 weeks. At 39 weeks I was having contractions, although not in full labor but it was obvious that I was going to go into labor on my own very quickly and my doctor didn't want to risk that....because you do need to have 2 rounds of antibiotics intravenously before you birth your baby. And you have to wait 4 hours before rounds. So as long as you're in the hospital 4 hours before the baby is born then you'll be fine.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• yes i was told this at 36wks; with my hist i freaked out as she was my 1st full term; but i had great fem dr who assured me antibiotics w/vaginal would decrease the 2% chance of her getting; c-section if necess will apparent avoid scare altogether, i was natural.
    babygirl821

Answer by babygirl821 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I am also a Group B Strep carrier. For the record.... I think that the number is like some 85% of women CARRY Group B Strep. A very small percentage of women who carry can actually pass this to their child. Through 2 pregnancies no Dr tested me for it. Both of my first two children were born very septic and were hospitilized for weeks. BUT my doctors were IDIOTS!! If your doctor has tested you and is aware that you carry then he will give you several antibiotics during your entire labor. This greatly reduces the chances of your child contracting Group B Strep. My doctor (#3) did his homework on my other two pregnancies and figured out what the problem was and actually scheduled me for a c-section because it was KNOWN that I was not JUST a carrier but could pass this to my child. It seems to me that you have a competant Dr. so I really wouldnt worry. Like I said, the chances of you being one of those few are very low.
    Anonymous