Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is getting ready to sign his rights away to my oldest grandchild, does this mean my rights are also gone?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (37)
  • I would assume so, why is he doing that?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • call a lawyer. hope this helps.

    Answer by August2068 at 9:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • Have you talked to the BM? Will she allow you to be in the child's life?


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • You can check on grandparents rights. Depending on where you live you might be able to do that even though he is signing his rights away. Why would he do that anyhow? Unless he doesn't want to he doesn't HAVE to.

    Answer by Geminus at 9:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • There is no such thing as grandparents rights. Not in any state. Once your son decides to terminate his parental rights then that is that. It is as if he never fathered that child. He has no say and neither does anyone else that is related to him - because he is no longer the father by law. So if you have concerns then you need to address them with your son before he terminates those rights. It is a very serious decision and it has long lasting and affects for the rest of his life as well as the rest of the life of this child. I hope that he understands the full ramifications of his decision.

    Answer by frogdawg at 9:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

  • In most cases signing over physical parental rights does not relieve the parent of their financial
    obligation unless the other parent agrees. If however, the rights are being relinquished so the child
    can be adopted, the court will dismiss child support obligations.

    Courts are concerned with the child's welfare and nothing else. Whatever is in the best interest of the
    child, whether it is emotionally, physically, financially, is what will decide how the judge rules.


    Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:05 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • yes signing away his rights makes him a legal stranger to the child which also makes members of his family legal strangers. The courts will not allow him to sign away his rights unless the mother is remarried and the step dad is willing to adopt the child unless abuse/ neglect has been proven. Other wise they just either stop visits or make them supervised.

    Answer by babyfat5 at 7:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • u may have to go to court to get your grand parent rights but you got them

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • actually there are grandparent rights in alot of states. just depends on what state you live in. i would look it up and check with a lawyer first before your son signs away his rights

    Answer by ammowife2004 at 7:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • I am so sorry to hear this, esp. if the child has a relationship  you.  Maybe you could talk to the grandson's mom and work out some sort of visitation for this child so you can stay in his life. When he gets older, if he has memories of you, he will seek you out, esp. when his friends at school starts talking about families. Best of luck, i know we'd be totally lost if we lost our relationship with our only grandchild. I'll say a prayer for you that this all works out for the best.


    Answer by Kayd01 at 8:00 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.