I work at a daycare and today a 2 year old was rocking too fast on a rocking toy and fell back and hit his head on the concrete and then got a nose bleed. His parents took him to the ER and I haven't heard anything sense...I feel horrible for not preventing it! :(

I was right there but it happened SO fast and I had a kid in my arms and I put the kid down and grabbed him to reduce the impact but he still hit really hard and his nose bled...I know that's a bad sign.

Does that ALWAYS mean brain trauma?

I'm so worried about the little guy. It's all I can think about.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Health

• He might have just hit his nose a good one without any other injuries. Things like that happen to a lot of people, accidents happen. You tried to stop him but didnt make it in time. Do you have their number and maybe you can call him to check up and make sure he is okay. That's what i would do
    ladyb155

Answer by ladyb155 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No, it doesn't always mean brain trauma. I don't think I've ever seen a child able to rock hard enough to cause major injury when they fall down, even on concrete.

You can't prevent every injury a child is going to get. I bet dollars to doughnuts this little boy is okay. Don't beat yourself up. But maybe do move the toy to a place where falling off isn't going to land a child on concrete. Is there a carpeted area you can move it to or even a rug you can put under it?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• He hit the back of his head really hard...didn't hit his nose. That's why I'm worried :( I should have written that a little more clear.

I don't have their number...I called the director and so far she hasn't heard anything.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Not nessacarily but your right it doesn't sound good. On the flip side, my ds fractured his skull when he was 10 months old and we didn't even know. He never acted different, cried, he was his normal happy self. He had fell off the steps of my moms basement, he was just standing on the 2nd step (i was at work). It wasn't until he got a mushy lump on the side of his head that i took him to the dr. She did an xray and still saw nothing so she sent us home. the next day it was bigger so i went to the ER. The CT scan revealed a skull fracture. Luckily kids are generally very resilient and heal faster than adults. I'm sure the little guy will be ok, maybe call the parents tomorrow to check up on him?
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• maybe you can send a get well card,I wouldnt admit guilt though....were you understaffed that day? be sure you document what happened at your work,just in case the momma decides to sue......sorry but thats the reality of the situation....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 11:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• There were 3 other "teachers" outside as well. An Incident report was written up according to state law and signed by the mother.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• you wont know about it unless you asks to the parents about the doctor's findings. They must say something.
    injurylawyerSC

Answer by injurylawyerSC at 10:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2011