My 3 year old is regressing

I babysit some other kids. One of them is 2. My daughter just turned three and is emulating her. She has adopted her manner of speech (going from using "I'm hungry" to "Me hungry", etc), and she is even emulating the other girl's cry, even when she is very upset (so it's not faking). She is also throwing a LOT more fits. This other little girl doesn't throw a whole lot of fits, though.

What gives? How do I keep my daughter on track and get this fit throwing under control?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like maybe she's having a little "sibling rivalry" thing going on, even if they're not siblings. Imitating the other girl makes it seem like she's feeling like you might like the other girl more so she's trying to act like her? Maybe try doing special stuff just you and her to show her she's still #1 in your book? I don't know... good luck to you!! Here's a bump.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• That tends to be a habit for kids. They see other kids doing something or saying something so they do it too. My son stopeed sucking his thumb for the longest time but then he went to preschool and they had a thumb sucker there so he picked it back up again. There were also kids who started to suck their thumb who never did before jsut because of one kid. Its tough trust me, just make sure you correct her when she says me hungry and stuff like that. THis will last a life time,think about it. teens will wears what their friends are wearing or talk like their friends are talking. or act like their friends because its cool. its like human nature lol
    ladyb155

Answer by ladyb155 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I expected some of this, but I expected her to emulate the OLDER kids, not the one younger than her lol. And the cry really gets to me. I am used to MY CHILD'S cry. I don't mind other children's cries, they don't really bother me, but when MY CHILD cries like another child... it really throws me for a loop lol.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Mamalisa, I wonder that too, now that you mention it. Whenever those kids are over, when they leave I feel like I haven't seen my daughter all day, because the other kids take up so much of my time and attention.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2011