Why do gay men seem to speak a certain way?

I feel awful asking this, as I do not want to offend anyone, and wasn't sure where (category) to ask. Why do so many gay men tend to speak "that way?" But just curious as to why it seems to be part of the profile. Again, truly not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings, just curious about the correlation...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Just for Fun

• A lot of gay men feel more like a woman then anything else and so they tend to act like one. Just like some lesbians are really hard core and act like men. Its just that extra chemical they have. We act like straight woman because we are. Some straight woman act like tomboys while others are afraid to brake a nail. Its completely normal
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 11:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• the same reason you probably think "black people talk a certain way" or "valley girls talk a certain way". Whenever someone fulfills your preconception, you take note of it. Whenever someone does not fit into your idea of "how a ----- person does something" you don't take note of it. There is no correlation except for people of similar backgrounds tend to mimic each others speech patterns when they are in a situation together as a means of identifying with each other and strengthening bonds with each other. Speaking "like" someone makes you come off as more likeable and more of "the same". It is a type of survival mechanism that is embedded in the human brain.

There are regional dialects, however. And that is a different type of speech all together.
    Anonymous

• you don't know too many gay men do you? lol
    they don't all speak 'that way' and there are some straight men that speak 'that way'

I think you are assuming too much.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• OP. To ItsMe89, etc, -- Oh, I know. I guess I'm bringing this up because a friend's teen son speaks "that way" and everyone assumes he is gay, which isn't fair. It just seems to be a trend that a good handful (certainly not all) of the gay men I know speak "that way" as well.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I've known a good many gay men in my life. I'd say about 30% of them have that lilt that you're talking about lol. Which is a lot more than the general population of men. It's far from all of them, but it's enough that there is a grain of truth to the stereo type. And I lived in a small, conservative town, gay men were kind of few and far between, and most of them were trying to hide it. So it wasn't "pop culture"... it was something about the way they learned to speak as a child (maybe taking more ques from mom than dad?), or something about their brain chemistry.

I don't think you're being unreasonable or prejudice at all. I can't explain it, though, but I know what you're talking about.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Like white ppl speak a certain way...duh
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• some might like the attention
    some might do it to attempt to attract straight men

not sure...i have wondered the same thing too
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 4, 2011