Do you smoke around your kids?

I am a single mom or two kids ages 3 and 5. I am 21 and I smoke. I am trying to quit but am having a hard time. My mom treatss melike a criminal because I smoke around my kids....

JanieJo

Asked by JanieJo at 11:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you have to smoke, you really should go outside of the home to do it. Your children should not be exposed to the health risks of second hand smoke. My husband used to smoke and he always went outside and I would not allow him to smoke out there if the kids were out there playing. I just don't feel like it is something they should be exposed to and think it is ok. He finally made the decision to go on the patch and after wearing them one week, he quit cold turkey. He smoked for 15 years and has been smoke free for 2 years now! You can do it, too!! Really think about it and go for it. Shock your mom with the good news....she will be so happy for you, as well!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:42 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I hate cigs!!! I hate walking around outside and smelling it because I know im breathing it in as well. I deserve to walk around and breath fresh air and so do my children ;0( I always feel sorry for kids when I see their parents smoking around them because of course they are breathing it too! put your babies before your own selfish needs. If you wanna slowly kill yourself thats your own thing but dont bring your children down too....I know it hard to quite but dig deep and do it so you will be around for your children for a long long time and not die of lung cancer.

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 11:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• if my boyfriend ever starts smoking again he'll probably smoke outside...he knows how my parents smoking 2 packs a day around me affected my breathing in the sense i got suuuuuper sick when i was a year old and had to have medication to clear out my lungs

i wouldn't treat you like a criminal like your mom does but it would be better for your kids if you smoked outside
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 12:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I've never smoked around my son. Actually he never sees me do it. I've worked in a bar for quite some time now and that is not the environment to be in if you want to quit (which I do badly) Work is really the only place I smoke, I don't even want one until I walk into that place and there are other people smoking. I come straight home from work and shower and wash my clothes so hopefully he won't smell it. He's always asleep when I get home.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 12:59 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Do you mean you smoke in the house with them? If you go outside and they're not sitting on your lap then that should be fine. If you do smoke in the house keep in mind that the smell get's into everything!
    I worked in daycare and had to get a change of clothes out of a kids bag and when I opened the bag I thought I was going to throw up! The smell was disgusting!
    Good luck with quiting!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:14 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• We don't smoke and no one in our family smokes so they are never around cigarette smoke. Their biomom and her mom smoke and thankfully they don't see the kids but once ever 3 1/2 years. Both the children have asthma.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:18 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My daughter and I have asthma and I make everyone at my house go outside. It's good to wear a smoking jacket too that you can take off so the smell doesn't follow you. I used to smoke when I was younger, but never in the house and it was before I had kids. I'm pregnant now and can't stand the smell and every time someone is around me smoking I rush home and take a shower. I know sometimes it's their home, but I wish people would be considerate of what second hand smoke can do.
    trying2move

Answer by trying2move at 12:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• i dont smoke but my mom and sis do and there dad i just ask that they go outside or wait if there in the car w us and to spray themselves w frebreze b4 coming back in lol
    budda646

Answer by budda646 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2011