I'm getting ready to book a flight and have been searching through "priceline," "travelocity," "expedia," etc...and then just for the heck of it I went straight to delta's site and it was CHEAPER?! Why would anyone go through a search engine then?

What's the catch? Before I buy this.

It's a difference of almost 200 dollars and it's a better deal...quicker flight!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Travel

• Usually on the search sites like Kayak (includes just about all of them) the taxes etc are included.
    Often at the individual airline sites the tax and fees are not included and will be added in.
    Check it out before you finalize.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Probably because it isn't always cheaper or they are easily taken in by the advertising . i have never had that experience but I once bought some French perfume at the airport duty free store on leaving Paris only to find the same perfume cheaper in a store in Montreal a few days later . It happens .

janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I use travel search engines to get an idea of which airlines fly to my destinations. I've never booked through those sites as I always find better fares directly with the carrier.
    LoveHerDad

Answer by LoveHerDad at 12:08 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I did the same thing and found Orbitz had the same price as the Airlines I wanted to fly, so I booked with Orbitz. The biggest perk for me is the text meseages I recieved to let me know my plane was on time, what gate to go to and what carousel my bags could be found. I'll definetely choose Orbitz again.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My mom flies a lot and says she has never found a better deal by going to one of those, she always books directly through the airline.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 12:42 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Sometimes its like that. It was like that for us for our vegas trip, The hotel was cheaper when I called it in and the rental car was less than half the price the website offered. Crazy ppl
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• travel

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:34 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Hmmm, I always check the airlines website and compare to Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. But, I normally find better deals by using Travelocity. I don't think that I have ever booked flights directly through any carrier because for us, they are never cheaper.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I usually go to those search engines first, then go straight to the carrier, sometimes is cheaper sometimes it isn't. I just buy from the ones that offer the better deal
    cholita1978

Answer by cholita1978 at 8:02 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• i go through search engines for package deals.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 5:38 AM on Jun. 8, 2011