when do babies usually start talking?

my daughter is 18 months old and she still doent talk, when should she start talking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, what do you mean by talking?
    By 18 months, most kids can say around 10 words. Keep in mind that it counts as a word if your child always uses the same sound to mean the same thing - it's not just the words that everyone else can understand. If your child always says the sound "dee" when she points to a balloon, then "dee" counts as a word and it means "balloon".

By 24 months, most kids have a vocabulary of over 50 words. Again, the pronunciation may really stink and strangers may not understand any of it.

24 months is also when kids start stringing words together - more milk, more book, baby doggy, daddy shoe.

By 36 months, most kids can speak in short sentences though grammar and pronouns are sometimes confused. By this age at least half of what they say should be understandable by a stranger.

If you have any concerns about your child's development, never hesitate to call your doctor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My Daughter was about 4 to 5 months old saying Momma, Dadda, bobba - for bottle and a few others. Now she's 19 months old and speaks 7 word sentences , for example today she said "Mommy I'm hungry, I want a snack please". All babys go at there own rates, don't worry to much about it. If your concerned, talk to her doctor about it and see what you can do. What I did was read storys everyday, teach her words and flash cards or photos in books. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• I agree, don't worry about it unless you really feel there is an underlying problem. If that is the case, then see your pediatrician as your gut instinct is your best resource. My daughters spoke at a young age, and talk waaaaaay too much now, they never stop. I talked to my kids, even as newborns, all the time, even in the grocery store. I am sure everyone thought I was nuts, until my 11 month old started talking back in complete sentences. Again, each child develops on their own pace. Don't pressure her, but do talk to her, ask her questions to encourage a response, and include her in your conversations with hubby/family. Maybe she is just so content, she has nothing to say! (Aaaah, the bliss of a quiet home!)
    thadams

Answer by thadams at 8:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My youngest is going to be 2 in 5 day's, he has been saying word's for a year now, though he's puyying sentences together now it's so cute, it's up to your child, my friend's daughter is so talkative and smart, she sound's like a 8 year old it's crazy thing's she come's up with, and she's going to be 3
    sillybabys

Answer by sillybabys at 11:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2008