Medicaid and private insurance and child support

I recieved notification today that my ex has put the kids on his insurance...how exactly does this work with the medicaid office and will it affect the amount of child support I recieve?

suhweetness

Asked by suhweetness at 12:43 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• If your custody order says he is to provide insurance for your kids, then it is figured separately than child support. If it says he is to reimburse you for child support, then your support could go down, and he may need to see if he has to pay back medicaid.
    ReneeN1979

Answer by ReneeN1979 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• It might cause the courts will give him credit for it but it might not change your support it will only change if one of you go back to change anything.and as for medicaid it will be your kids primary insurance you will give drs office both cards your ex's insurance will pick up most of it and medicaid will pick up the rest you just have to make sure that the drs are on both insurance's
    neecie85257

Answer by neecie85257 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• thanks ladies
    suhweetness

Comment by suhweetness (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My husband pays child support to his ex wife, at the time of filing medical insurance was carried by his ex wife through employment at no charge to either parents and c/s was set through wages earned.

Three years later ex wife loses insurance upon returning to court medical insurance is now carried through us and paid for, due to the cost of the medical insurance the judge lowers the amount c/s to the ex wife.

as for medicaid u may lose it because its from the state, u would have to check with you local medicaid office but through experience they wont allow you to carry both, unless its for another child u are not getting c/s or medical insurance.
    gem05

Answer by gem05 at 2:44 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't think so. My older children's father was supposed to carry insurance on them, which was offered and wouldn't cost him any more because he had his step-kids on it, but never did put my kids on it. They didn't raise my child support, but instead told me to put them on medicaid, which we didn't qualify for. They told me he would have to pay half of the bills, but I needed to send the bills to him. I had no address because his new wife didn't want me knowing where they were for fear I would take him back. So c/s was never changed and my kids went without insurance for all those years.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• You have to tell medicaid they have insurance and theyll cancel medicaid. I dont know how it works in your state but through KY if my ex puts the kids on his medical insurance I get less money in child support because he is having to pay money to cover them. It wasnt worth it for me. My husband has insurance so they are covered through our family plan anyway. My ex would have gone from paying around $800 to $500 a month if I had them on his plan. I wanted the extra $300 a month.

Answer by gemgem at 12:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree that they will probably cancel your medicaid if your children are now covered by a parent. I wouldn't think it would expect your child support.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Here they would simply use the insurance as the primary insurance and everything that the insurance doesn't cover would be covered by Medicaid.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 1:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2011