I've been recieving Graduation cards from people whom I haven't

seen or heard from for 10-20 yrs, to let me know their child, whom I've never met, or was real young the last time I saw them have graduated. I'm happy for them but I'm not sure what the proper etiqutte is as far as acknowledgement. A large part of me wants to ignore these since I don't know their kids and a small part wonders if I should send 20.00 to acknowledge their graduation.. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Kathy675

Asked by Kathy675 at 12:44 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think it's too cool when people do that. I mean 10-20 years?? Unless it's a close relative that maybe we just weren't able to see during those 10-20yrs and couldn't help it. Then I don't mind but ....other than that. I think people are hoping for some Grad money or they have plenty of money to spend on graduation cards to send out and are extremely, extremely excited and proud and want the world to know. LOL. 10-20yrs is a lonnng time.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• They are doing it for the gifts IMO I usually trash those if I don't know the kid
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:46 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I guess it is up to you and your financial situation. Personally I wouldn't send anything except a note of congratulations.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 12:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I don't think you should feel oblogated to do anything...but if you feel you should do something, send a card congratulating them
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 12:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I would send a card to congratulate them but that's about it.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 12:49 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I think a card is the most you should do.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Yes,at least a card.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:14 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• i would send a card but no $...or nothing cause honestly the kid graduating doesnt want one more thank you card to write :)
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• It's just an attempt to collect as much money as possbile. If I haven't seen or talked to this child in that long I would simply throw the announcement away. They are just looking for money....These kinds of things irritate me.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:06 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• If I have not seen or had contact with the graduate or grad's family in many years I just send a card. I only do money or gifts when I know the graduate, or if I am good friends with a member of the grad's immediate family.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:03 AM on Jun. 4, 2011