Postpartum Exercises?

I gave birth 3 days ago. My body is still healing, but i'm already starting to worry about my weight. I still look pregnant and i know that is normal. I feel like i should be doing something to help jump start the process. I'm tired of just sitting around doing nothing. I can't really go on any long walks yet. I was wondering if there was anything i can do to help tone my stomach muscles or something? My baby is in the NICU and I am breastpumping every 3hrs.

When did you start exercising? How fast did it take you to start seeing a change? What kind of exercises did you do?

MamaSince2005

Asked by MamaSince2005 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• With my 1st, I started exercising too early & tore my stitches again. So, this time I am waiting until 6 weeks. Do not worry your baby is only 3 days old! It will come off! My baby is 11 days old & I already look a lot smaller than I did at 3 days old. Keep up the pumping, that will help!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 1:11 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I think its a bad idea to start this soon. First, your stiiches, either from vaginal or csection must heal first. Second, your ab muscles are still separated and will take a couple months to go back. I know its frustrating. I'm 14 wks PP, and I've been working out the past month. It's hard. But try to remember you gave birth!! It's an amazing thing. Give it time. Listen to your body. And check with your doc before doing anything more than walking this early.
    ConnorMom228

Answer by ConnorMom228 at 7:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• At least wait the 6 weeks if u had a c-section u should wait 8 weeks, you get STD for a reason, its kind of like running right after you sprained your ankle it does not work. The baby belly will go away if u had a c-section it might take a little longer cause your Uterus did not contract naturally, I know with my son who was a planned c-section my recovery went much better than my daughter who was an emergency c-section, but I had the baby belly a lot longer with my son.
    FLBMommy

Answer by FLBMommy at 3:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree that you should wait the whole six weeks. I tried to get started early and I really hurt my back. I had to be on muscle relaxers and it ended up being 3 extra months till I could start working out again. Just watch what you're eating and it will go a very long way in helping you lose the way.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• *weight, not way. Sorry
    fireeyes81