Should I take my son to the dr or wait it out?

Last night before bed my son's eyes began to get that gross green goopey stuff in his tear ducts along with a green runny nose. This morning he woke up with his eyes almost madded shut and they were very redish pink with a glassy look and were very puffy and swollen. I gave my son so,e benydryl and it helped a lil bit with the puffiness but they were very glassy and blood shot looking all day. Should I just wait this out or take him in monday? He hasn't ran fever but has been rubbing his eyes all day. He is on a prescription zyrtec which he takes daily. Just don't know if I should run him to dr or wait? He's never had this happen like this before.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 1:07 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes! U need to take him now! He has pink eye! Very contagious! Do not let him rub his eyes,he will spread it to whatever he touches. Take him to the E.R.!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Pinkeye is not an ER-worthy illness unless he has complications like a lot of pain or a fever.

Do you have breast milk? Miracle cure for pinkeye, no joke.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:15 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• OMG!! It is very contagious and it could interfere with your vision.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:18 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Take him to the dr in the morning. Warm water on washcloths can help eith the icky feeling on the eyes, but pinkeye needs antibiotics. It won't go away with anything else.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:19 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• It very rarely has complications. Yes, it's contageous, but it is VERY treatable, and an ER trip is expensive. I would go to the doctor in the morning if I was concerned about it, but honestly I'd try to treat it with breastmilk first lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:20 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• He needs antibiotics! Use the washcloth with warm water then,take him to the doctor in the morning,don't let him rub his eyes and use soap and water for his hands and yours.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• yep, it's pinkeye. if you have breastmilk, drop a couple of drops in his eyes and then bring him to the doctor in the morning. use a nice warm rag to help clean the gook out of his eyes...also don't be surprised if he wakes up with his eyes "glued" shut...the warm rag will help with that too.

it is contagious, so make sure you wash your and his hands alot more than normal and sanitize everything you have, after he's on antibiotics change the sheets, pillowcase, wash everything, spray everything with lysol, don't forget his blanket/stuffed animal, ect.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My son had pinkeye once and woke up from a nap TERRIFIED because he couldn't open his eyes. I mean he was screaming. I'd take him to the doctor or ER as soon as you reasonably can, and in the meantime treat with breastmilk, warm clean damp cloths, and yes: WASH HANDS and EVERYTHING he touches, especially if you have other kids around.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My nephews get pink eye often. Drops of tea in the eyes help flush out the infection and kind of takes away the itchiness. My sister puts the drops in their eyes 2-4 times daily. Breast milk will flush out the infection also.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:17 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Pink eye can absolutely mess with your vision. I would take him to the ER to see if it is viral or bacterial.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 6:37 AM on Jun. 4, 2011