how do you teach a smart mouthed 5 year old manners?

he talks like a 14 year old girl and is very rude and has zero respect for anyone. he gets grounded and spanked he doesn't go unpunished so i dont know what the problem is!?

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 10:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Kids at 5 tend to mimic what they have been exposed to. Does he have other siblings that are sassy? Does he watch tv show's that are to old for him? How do you speak to him? Sometimes we may not even realize the tone to our voices when speaking with our kids.

When he is having a good day and things are relaxed sit down with him and tell him that the house (when you say "the house" you are including everyone and not singleing him out) is going to start working on being respectful and having manners. Make a chart/calendar and have it ready for the "talk". Show him that each day will have a smile face or unhappy face. He must earn 5 (5 because he is 5) happy faces a week to earn a prize (prizes can be simple or as big as you want.) Let him feel like he has control by making the choice of good behavior.  The hard part for you in following threw. 

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• One thing is that we have to search ourselves as parents...I don't like to admit it but sometimes I hear my 4 year old and 9 year old say things that I do not like at all, but they are things that they have learned from me. Just make sure that you are showing respect for others in your actions and speech and hopefully he will begin to imitate you.
    bmwcmw

Answer by bmwcmw at 12:00 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Being grounded at 5 means nothing to them. and spanking although it might make you feel like you are doing something about it really can confuse a child. I am a firm beliver in talking with your children sitting him down and explaining exactly how you are feeling about his attitude, tell him how his attitude makes you feel and talk about what the consequences are going to be if he does act up. Tell him that if he acts up you are going to have to take away a favorite toy for the day or a stuffed animal. I know with my kids, if I get down on there level, even at five and make them feel like they are part of the discussion, it works much better than just punishing them without explination. Maybe a "good attitude" chart would be a good idea. Five year olds also are a tricky age, they are trying to find their own little personalities and sometimes need our guidance and understanding. .
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 1:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2008