Eating your placenta?

Ive seen many things on people eating or capsuling their placenta. I Dont understand. To me this seems canibalistic. What is the purpose? & have any of you ever done this?

LilMama0620

Asked by LilMama0620 at 1:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't get it either. I saw it done on tv once and it was a gross thing to see. I wondered how they managed without vomiting. I would not have been able to.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• The purpose is to replace some of the things lost to childbirth. The placenta is full of nutrients and hormones, and has been used in many cultures throughout the world to help a new mother heal after childbirth. Some claim it speeds healing, improves mood, increases milk supply and decreases the risk of postpartum complications. It certainly doesn't seem to do any harm in any case. In some cultures it is encapsulated and sold to menopausal women for relief from their symptoms. Sometimes a thumb-nail sized piece is given to a mother if she is hemorrhaging after birth, and most of the midwives I've known have said it is extremely effective at halting bleeding because of the high levels of oxytocin in it.

I have not eaten my placenta, but I would. My son's is still in the freezer because we're planting a tree with it :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:58 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Just sounds gross! I know animals do it but seriously... ew!
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 2:00 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Not if I was the finalist on fear factor....come on now we all know science has evolved enough to the point where u can take supplements and nutrients to stay healthy without consuming things that get ejected from your body
    Anastacia1988

Answer by Anastacia1988 at 2:11 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• mmmm pour me some of that! lol um, no i dont think i would be able to eat placenta..... brrrr!!!!
    YulsheiMAMA

Answer by YulsheiMAMA at 2:14 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• i wish i had someone to encapsulate it for me, i won't do it on my own
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 2:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I didn't, but I would have. Yes, science has evolved but nature still is the best. . .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I don't think I could bring myself to eat it but we buried my son's and planted a tree over it, My family and a lot of the tribe does the same.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I didn't even like looking at my placenta's. My dr asked me for 3 of my deliveries and didn't ask again for my 4th, thankfully!!
    To those who eat it, freeze it plant it with a tree (why do you do that btw? what does it mean?) good for you. To those that don't I'm with you on this one.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Amanda to answer your question its customary to bury the placenta to bind the child to his/her land and people. There's a lot more I could go into about it but that would take forever. Its very symbolical to our people.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:37 AM on Jun. 4, 2011