How do I get my child, age 9, get more involved in math?

We are raising our nine yr old grandson and very much enjoying him. I home school'd him these past two yrs. He will soon be tested for learning disablities. The ones I see are dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalcula. I have to find a way to interest him more in doing math. He still has a math phobia from first grade, public school. Thanks! Sijai

Sijai

Asked by Sijai at 3:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I agree with making it fun. I too homeschool and I found that children want to learn. For some reason when they go to school the kids think it's a chore. I'm not sure if it's the way they are taught or other kids rubbing off on them. Math might be his weak point and he's afraid of failing. You may need to teach him on his level of math. Don't try and push it ahead to go with the "norm." I think they are pushing these kids way too fast these days and even though they may be doing ok on these standardized tests, they aren't learning the problem solving concept. Find a way that he does learn, as some of the other posters suggested. Not all kids learn from books or repetative seat work, or busy work.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:04 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Make math fun. Use manipulatives. (jelly beans, legos, or other small objects to help aid in math). What type of math is he learning right now? Msg me if you have any questions.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:04 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• i would try maybe making into a game and have fun with it make math an adventure GL:]
    nikki8272010

Answer by nikki8272010 at 3:25 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• you may need to find a tutor that specializes in teaching math to kids that are deslexic
    ajs16919

Answer by ajs16919 at 3:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• i am badly dyslexic myself and did not have a good time at school so your welcome to message me and ask anything my advice do maths without call it match eg bake with him . get a book and ask him to mesher the ingredients for you its good fun but is still maths and he gets a cake at the end of it

when at the shop ask him to help you work out how much you shopping costs

even somthing as simple as i need 15 buttons for the thing i'm doing get  them for me 

but when you are doing math in home schooling make it fun and use rewords eg you do 15 mins of maths and i will give you a sweety

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 7:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree w/ the above moms, make math fun... I hated it when I was in HS. Try a math bingo, or work with money. See if he can add up a handful of change? I like the jellybean idea too or maybe use buttons. Is he into sports? Maybe set it up like a baseball scoreboard or a football game... if each team scored a touchdown, extra point and a field goal how many points total are on the board? Good luck!
    threebrats

Answer by threebrats at 10:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2011