Is it to early to start planning?

My DF and I are getting Married next month (Woot Woot). He's military so part of our life is planned out for us. We would like to have a baby (if there are no complications). Summer 2013 and beyond (if it happened sooner it would be alright). We are already putting a little cash back every month to help cover the upfront cost of a baby (We are both currently working), but is it bad Karma to try to buy things like a sling, bumbo, swings, other toys, furniture and other odds and ends early? I like getting a good deal when I can find one, and I do have room for it in storage here. I'm just concerned i'm gonna jinx myself.

Brayds_Lady

Asked by Brayds_Lady at 4:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• not too early at all! when my sister began trying to concieve she was met with trouble, so to help her with "retail therapy" we began our famous "baby boxes" and bought white plain onesies, blankets and bottles, bibs and socks...shirts and such. anythign that would be needed from clothes to accessories...6 months later we started one for me! i didnt have a use for it of course but 3 years later we had collected a TON of stuff (she still hadnt concieved) but when i got pregnant i already had tubs of diapers and accessories galore! it makes it easier to ensure you have what you need and its a LOT cheaper than doing it in 40 weeks :] good luck and have fun!
    babymaycker

Answer by babymaycker at 4:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I will say this. I started buying stuff as I found it on sale (I'm super frugal) or in really good shape at consignment or yard sales. Friends started giving me the stuff as their kids outgrew it
    DH and I are on over 2 years of TTC. That stuff sits out in the shed where I don't have to see it, because it hurts
    Take the money that you would spend at that moment (Say, 73.50 for a back and play, or whatever) and put that exact amount in savings. Then, when you are ready it's all right there
    MedicMommy

Answer by MedicMommy at 6:46 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't start buying things just yet, but it is a good idea to start stashing away money for a baby
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 6:42 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I think it's a good idea to setting money aside, but wouldn't you have a baby shower?
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 7:09 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I wouldnt start buying things like that at this stage if I was in your situation, I think its way too early, concentrate on the wedding, and everything else you have to enjoy as you start married life together.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:37 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• *start setting money aside*
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 7:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Don't start too early on that stuff. Things change so frequently that the one you buy now might not be the most highly recommended when the time comes. Plus it's not wise, in general, to start too early. Concentrate and enjoy each phase you are in at the time which is enjoying the getting married part right now!! Best wishes.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 4:49 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• After having to drive home and bring a Uhaul back for our wedding I will not being having a baby shower. Its to much work. I don't like driving and it cost $600 to rent a uhaul vs. $3000 to have our gifts moved by pod, upack ect. People did not listen to our request of sending gifts to our home (we live on the opposite side of the US as our family). So having a shower is out of the question. Our parents will buy us whatever we need or have not obtained by the birth time.
    Brayds_Lady

Comment by Brayds_Lady (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Things ger re-called soooo much now that just for the reason it's not a good idea plus not to be a debbie downer but what if you have all this stuff and it doesn;t happen for a while...it would probably get you more upset seeing these things or at least knowing you have them. If there are good deals now in 2 yrs. there will be other good deals.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2011